[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were parliaments historically so shit? >parlement blocks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 532.jpg (38 KB, 602x270) Image search: [Google]
532.jpg
38 KB, 602x270
Why were parliaments historically so shit?

>parlement blocks all Louis XVI's efforts at reform, precipitating the French Revolution
>parliament spergs out over Charles I putting rails on alters and refusing to execute Catholics priests, precipitating the English Civil War
>>
>>1401823
Because they have their own interests to care about. Case in point: LIBRUM VETO
>>
butthurt uncles
>>
>>1401823
Parliamentarism is just what Plato called oligarchy. It's the revolution of the wealthy nobles and the merchant class against the monarch, and since not one of them can rule alone they resort to parliamentarism.
>>
>>1401823

because they're suppose to be to interfere with government who would otherwise exploit their own populations.
>>
>>1401872
That's the tagline, I'm talking about the actuality
>>
In the case of Louis XVI, the Paris Parlement was comprised of the nobility and rich clergy. So while they had the veneer of being the "voice of the people," they were actively working against the majority of France's population by refusing reforms that would ease the tax burden on the poor, help the government's finances, and make things better overall.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.