[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't they teach anymore, or at the very least integrate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1467485667790.jpg (45 KB, 400x356) Image search: [Google]
1467485667790.jpg
45 KB, 400x356
Why don't they teach anymore, or at the very least integrate it into higher education in some form?
>>
Because religion has no place in science. Try to name one invention where theology played some role. You can't, because it is a useless garbage.
>>
>>1401482
A priest came up with the Big Bang theory and a monk discovered genetics. Also you're a fag.
>>
>>1401487
Big Bang Theory and Genetics aren't based on the Theological Statements. It is like saying if inventor of computers was gay then Homosexuality should be considered as the basis of a computer science and integrated into higher education in some form.
>>
>>1401482
I don't see this as being a religious thing at all.
Grammar = defining what something is. Input.
Logic = Understanding how things relate. Process.
Rhetoric = how to convincingly relay that information so that it can be understood. Output.
They aren't the same, but when combined, they result in knowledge. Or something like that. It seems pretty self-evident. Again, why aren't they teaching this in some form?
>>
>>1401539
So... What are they teaching students in math classes, language studies and debate clubs if not the grammar, logic and rhetorics in in some form?
>>
>>1401539

I mean, they literally teach courses on logic in University Philosophy departments. So I'm not sure what you are going on about.
>>
>>1401482
The thread wasn't even about theology but

>Try to name one invention

I can't tell If this is supposed to be ironic.
>>
>>1401574
>>1401607
The problem is I've never seen this relationship explicitly established in some form outside of philosophy and liberal arts courses in college. If I had been introduced to the trivium back in high school or something, perhaps I wouldn't have questioned the necessity of something like history or philosophy as a child, because I would've understood their importance within the broader scope of things, rather than what at the time seemed like memorizing trivia for the sake of it.

The trivium has historical significance, is simplistic enough to be understood by everyone, basic enough in form to be instantly recognizable, can serve as an introduction to ontology and philosophy as a whole, and has the goal of education right in the middle so that not even the dumbest of shits can miss it. Did my public education system just suck or is there an actual reason why it's excluded that I don't know about?
>>
>>1401713

I think it i just assumed that rhetoric and grammar would be covered in English. I agree that we should teach high school students logic, and that the Trivium is a good basic set of skills to learn. I also found high school learning trivial and wish for reform. I had a conversation about one of my professors and he agrees that the Medieval education system would be very useful these days when first years are coming in with none of these skills and suddenly are expected to do serious work.

There is something historical to consider. Logic peaked in the late Medieval period, during the Renaissance and the reign of Humanism in the universities logic( which was married to Scholasticism) was abandoned for a focus on rhetoric. Up until the 19th century it was all but permanently abandoned, even when early moderns like Copernicus and Galileo were rediscovering late scholastic natural philosophy so to influence their big innovation, logic never really made its comeback until guys like Peirce and Frege came around. Frege came from it from a mathematical perspective, where Peirce actually had a strong appreciation for his medieval predecessors. The Fregean way was the way we would go, so I believe since then it has generally been assumed that teaching children basic math is close enough to logic so that we don't need to teach logic.
>>
>>1401766
Your post elaborates on what I wanted to say, but couldn't find the words for. I guess our educational curriculum has just lost sight of the larger picture and is more concerned with if we've memorized the material then if we understand it.
>>
>>1401482

High IQ types might think that there is a logical morality; they ignore the fact that the vast majority of the population is below 100 IQ.

Religion is the foundation of societal stability. Good luck building a stable, productive society with a bunch of warmongering, violence glorifying barbarians.
>>
>>1401482
Consider suicide
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.