[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did monarchs from the past and today get money? Did the royal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 188x268
How did monarchs from the past and today get money? Did the royal treasury just give it to them? Did they rent royal lands? Did they just say "fuck it, I own the treasury, all moeny is mine"?
>>
>fuck it, I own the treasury, all moeny is mine

Well, yeah. They physically owned the state.
>>
1) People pay taxes > taxes go into royal treasury > royal treasury doles out salaries to monarchs

2) Monarchs take out loans > loans go into royal treasury > royal treasury doles out salaries to monarchs

3) Monarchy owns lands > profits from those lands > profits go into royal treasury > royal treasury doles out salaries to monarchs
>>
>>1399884
This. Technically a king owns every fucking object in the borders of his kingdom.
>>
>>1399890
>Monarchy owns lands > profits from those lands > profits go into royal treasury > royal treasury doles out salaries to monarchs
Almost no monarchy has worked that way
>>
File: The_Crown_Estate.png (3 KB, 158x65) Image search: [Google]
The_Crown_Estate.png
3 KB, 158x65
>>1399878
The British Monarchy gets their money from the lease of lands, which is a type of corporation (since 1961), called "The Crown Estate". It is somehow separate from their private property and UK Public property. Current annual profit is about 300 million pounds.
>>
>>1399905
that's literally untrue
>>
>>1399878
they didn't, they only owned their personal estates.
>>
>>1399905
How exactly is he going to go province by province and people by people taxing them and taking their shit?
Nobles were the ones with the majority of the wealth, monarchs simply had political powers and the few estates they manage to obtain for their children to not get fucked and controlled by capitalists.
>>
>>1399959
Nobles were granted property rights by the king in order to exchange for certain duties.
>>
File: wat.jpg (40 KB, 960x743) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
40 KB, 960x743
>>1399959
Monarchs absolute powers is enforced by the people to protect them from Capitalists, foreigners, thieves, and such.

Monarchs powers waned only when the Capitalist class obtained more and more capital, the limit to the monarchs powers isn't a limit to protect the people but to protect capitalist power and interests.
>>
File: opposition.jpg (74 KB, 808x619) Image search: [Google]
opposition.jpg
74 KB, 808x619
>>1399978
The ones who worked to overthrow the Tsar were the ones that were always working to destroy the Monarchs control over them, the nobles and merchants.
>>
trade and taxes
>>
I don't actually know, but I don't think monarchs really even concerned themselves with money that much

Actually running the business that was the state was the job of others while the monarch just had everything provided for them
>>
>>1399909
Current British monarchy works this way. Past British monarchy worked this way. Past French monarchy worked this way. Etc.
>>
>>1399878
>all these people mentioning ways that were true for periods of time and places.
What era are you referring to OP? The way the state worked, and thus how the monarch got their money changed a lot over time.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.