[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there ever a time when the Irish were capable of pushing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: BRIAN BORU IN BATTLE.jpg (144 KB, 647x1000) Image search: [Google]
BRIAN BORU IN BATTLE.jpg
144 KB, 647x1000
Was there ever a time when the Irish were capable of pushing the english's shit in? Is there any possible alt history where Ireland today could realistically be independent?

I'm Scottish but I've heard every "we don't need the brits" story a million times and wonder if there's a similar attitude toward Ireland in history.
>>
In the early medieval era the Irish were comparable to the Anglo-Saxons in population, not enough to subjugate them but surely enough to defend their land. Unfortunately the Irish were pretty awful at uniting their land so it was a little easier for the Norman-led English to establish a foothold in Ireland, which leads to everything else.

I don't know the specifics of Irish history but i'd argue the one shot of the Irish uniting would be due to defending against the Vikings, like the Anglo-Saxons did. I don't know much about Irish history but i'd say the reason they didn't unite permanently was because they didn't have the established cultural heritage, which Bede cultivated for England.
>>
>>277158
I always imagined if an anti-brit leader would come from anywhere it'd have been in the Northern Counties, seeing as how poorly the irish up there were treated.

It's just a fun autist fantasy to imagine one of the families getting following and uniting ireland under a desire to be independent. Interesting to think how things would be today.
>>
>>277139
>Was there ever a time when the Irish were capable of pushing the english's shit in?
Pretty much sixth to tenth century.
>Is there any possible alt history where Ireland today could realistically be independent?
Sure, just think of an althis in which an ard ri actually manages to create a stable monarchy and state for the whole island. A united front combined with well picked alliances (like Scotland and France) would probably be well enough to carry an island nation to the present day independent.
>>
File: feels good ira.jpg (52 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
feels good ira.jpg
52 KB, 680x510
>>277139

>Was there ever a time when the Irish were capable of pushing the english's shit in?
>>
>>277139
From the dawn of humanity to the modern era, the Irish has always been c u cks for the Anglos
>>
>>277272
Modern IRA a shit, they're essentially just glorified thugs.
Old IRA were okay-tier guerilla protextors of an oppressed population but that ended fast once the troubles kicked into full swing and they became gun toting morons.
>>
>>277322

The IRA had good intentions, but went full chimp on Collins who got them the greatest deal they could hope for, their own government and armed forces and all they had to do was give the UK 6 counties which they could have peacefully and diplomatically argued for. But no, they started a war that killed thousands and gave Northern Ireland the biggest hot-bed of sectarian and racist violence that would put fucking ISIS to shame.

Every time a Republican praises the actions of the IRA, I just tell them to look at Northern Ireland, those fuckers made it what it is today, while the Loyalist side isn't guilt free, they had illegal Paramilitaries running around too causing more harm than good, and the army couldn't control them and yet the British Army is blamed for 90% of the killings that happened.
>>
File: display_image.php.jpg (224 KB, 1032x1400) Image search: [Google]
display_image.php.jpg
224 KB, 1032x1400
>>277139
friendly reminder that the Irish conquered Rome just because they could.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennus_%284th_century_BC%29
>>
>>277342
Yeah, there are a lot of people over here who praise the IRA as if they're the same group as they were at the start.
I mean sure, the police force at the time treated Catholic communities like scum and god knows those shit-tier protestant anti-ira paramilitaries did their share of damage.

Easter Rising? Cool, good example of rebelling but putting lives of civilians before the violence against brits. IRA? They literally just put bombs in random places and kill people who sell drugs sometimes. Fucking daft.
>>
>>277352
>Senones
>Irish
>>
>>277139
The Irish settled on the coasts of western Great Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries.
>>
During the English civil war (1640s) the Irish removed english, but then Cromwell

Also the scottish coventors had settled Ulster
>>
>>277352
claiming the senonian gauls conquests as those of the irish by extension is like doing the same for the poles and the russians

there's a point where patriotism crosses a border of retardation senpai
>>
>>277158
>In the early medieval era the Irish were comparable to the Anglo-Saxons in population
I doubt that

Source?
>>
File: Wrong neighborhood.jpg (413 KB, 800x777) Image search: [Google]
Wrong neighborhood.jpg
413 KB, 800x777
>>277139

No to be honest.
>>
File: Anglos.jpg (170 KB, 890x898) Image search: [Google]
Anglos.jpg
170 KB, 890x898
>Caesar was not far away, probably at or near Bibracte, where he had just won a major victory over the Helvetii and other Celtic tribes, and had disposed of the remaining Boii, allowing them to settle in Aeduan land. As only small numbers of Boii were left after the battle, the Aedui were obliging. Caesar must have immediately begun marching up the Saône valley.

>he had just won a major victory over the Helvetii and other Celtic tribes

>Ariovistus, being a skilled general in his own right, identified Vesontio as the key to the strategic Doubs valley and marched for it, but Caesar, probably relying on intelligence from the Gauls, arrived there first and established a main base. He had to combat a panic among his own men, who had heard that the Germans were some sort of superior warriors.

>He had to combat a panic among his own men, who had heard that the Germans were some sort of superior warriors.

>Germans were some sort of superior warriors.
>>
Irish pirates harried the coast of England around 300 to the year 500.

St. Patrick was captured by some of these pirates and taken to Ireland
>>
File: yablewit.png (218 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
yablewit.png
218 KB, 500x374
>>277877
>England

>300 to the year 500.
>>
>>277877
You mean Britannia? I've never heard of this "England"
>>
Ireland sure sound like babies, just deal with it faggots
>>
>>277903
Then you should read the news.

Yes I meant Brittania. And of course the Pirates came from Ériu and they stole the holy Padraig
>>
File: hugh o'neill.jpg (440 KB, 1339x1232) Image search: [Google]
hugh o'neill.jpg
440 KB, 1339x1232
The Irish fought the Normans to a standstill and weren't really subjugated outside of Dublin until Cromwell and his pals came along.
>>
>>277139
Early Medieval Period probably. Problem is that they never unified. I can't picture them being much more than Scotland tier if they did unify and build an actual state somehow.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.