[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hungary is a pretty interesting country. Under the Anjou, they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Hungary is a pretty interesting country. Under the Anjou, they clearly were one of the most powerful country in Europe, under Matthias, they successfuly defeated Austria. Yet, despite those periods, it seems to me Hungary failed to create a real centralized government like France and England did. This is really interesting and I'd like to know more.

They were one of the few european powers that managed to win clear victories against the Ottomans during their expansion.
>>
>>272029

Matthias was a successful ruler, but he failed to secure a dynasty, leading to the disorganisation of power.

He only scored a few minor victories against the Turks. Luckily for him the Ottoman Empire was not focused on Europe this time.

The first and only great victory belongs to his father, who stopped a major Ottoman army in 1456 at Belgrad. This set them back by a few decades, but they came again in 1526, beaten the army of Hungary, and taken much of the country in 1541.

Also, I'm a Hungarian historyfag. You can ask me something if you like.
>>
>>272199
Why didn't the Ottomans take over in 1526 after winning?
>>
>>272199
I have been looking around for this for a while now, but I've had no luck finding anything directly pertaining to this:

Other then irredentism, what solutions did Magyars come up with to finding themselves in other states?

Has Magyar ever been a 'flexible' identity, that allows for overlap with Austrian, Yugoslav, Serbian, Romanian, Slovak, Soviet, etc.?

How connected were people living in Hungary to Magyars living outside of Hungary, socially and culturally? Especially under the communist regime, was it hard to communicate with family members outside the borders, or read Magyar language publications from elsewhere in Eastern Europe?
>>
>>272359

Their conquest strategy was to do things slowly. While they have beaten the king's army in 1526, they were not ready to take the heart of the country.

Phase 1: Scouting and raiding.
Phase 2: Destroying the enemy in a single decisive battle.
Phase 3: Creating a puppet ruler in the territory (John Zápolya in this case, who was competing with Habsburg Ferdinand)
Phase 4: Total integration to the Ottoman Empire.

Also, Hungary was a secondary concern to them. Suleiman I made several attempts against Vienna, and only after their failures did he decided to capture Buda.
>>
Matthias was romanian. You know it's true.
>>
>>272405

Not my specialty, but I try to answer.

As far as I can tell, Hungarian identity not much different from the identity of the neighbouring countries. You can chose to assimilate or you can remain an ethnically Hungarian person with Romanian, Slovakian, Serbian etc. citizenship.

There are Hungarian communities in the neighbouring countries, but they do not really possess minority rights.

In the communist era, nationalism and thus irredentism were strong taboos, but Hungary and its neighbours also became part of a single bloc. I think personally you could very well keep connected with people in the home country, as long as you didn't say/do anything "subversive". Culturally, I'm not sure about Czechslovakia or Yugoslovia, but Ceausescu did attack the Hungarian minority's such rights.
>>
>>272499

Hairy feet please go.
>>
>>272537
>There are Hungarian communities in the neighbouring countries, but they do not really possess minority rights.
They have their own university in Slovakia, political parties that were in a half of our governments, a right to use their language in admistrative functions in the cities/villages with over 20% of Hungarians
>>
FUCKING BOZGOR GET OUT OF THIS BOARD ALL CLAY BELONGS TO ROMANIA
>>
>>272681
Can Romanian niglets kindly fuck off to /int/ or KC or whatever shithole they crawled out of?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.