[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the concept of military decorations so unjust and hypocritical?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1466486944432.jpg (58 KB, 666x882) Image search: [Google]
1466486944432.jpg
58 KB, 666x882
Why is the concept of military decorations so unjust and hypocritical?

>hey you've managed to get your legs blown off, good job
>here, have this piece of shiny metal attached to a ribbon

Why do soldiers still fall for this shit?
>>
Because for some reason the people at the top decided that soldiers being allowed to rob and rape and take wives as spoils of war was no longer a good thing so they tricked them into accepting cheap trinkets instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 357x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 357x225
>>1398301
I am hopeful that you never serve in the US Armed Forces or otherwise hold any position of authority anywhere.
You have no clue.

Peace be with you.
>>
File: 1442187576872.jpg (35 KB, 660x669) Image search: [Google]
1442187576872.jpg
35 KB, 660x669
>>1398301
men love to be submissive to some ideology [contrary to women who are not submissive, and if they are their end game is to feel good] and they praise whatever structure make concrete the process of getting this ideology adopted.
The best part is that men love ideologies which are not pragmatic [contrary to women who are down to earth] because it delays the concrete failures that each ideology lead to.
In the mean time, decoration feed the the craving of men [not of women] of ''being a good boy,serving a cause'', which means ''being relevant'' and having other men knowing it.
Men love to think that they work towards a higher goal [women are smart enough not to need this fantasy]
>>
>>1398344
t. butthurt vet
>>
File: 1406523732945.jpg (22 KB, 286x280) Image search: [Google]
1406523732945.jpg
22 KB, 286x280
>>1398301
>>1398336
I hope you don't believe this.

Soldiers don't attempt extraordinary acts of bravery in the hope of getting ribbons & medals. You think someone jumps on a grenade because they're thinking about how nice a medal of honor will look on their closed casket?
>>
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon"
- Napoleon Bonaparte
>>
>>1398364
Some don't, some do.

For example there was a literal mania for Ritterkreuzen in German army during WW2. You had a bunch of glory-hungry young men who dreamed of this wearing that stupid cross on their neck so much they risked their lives immensely for it. They were called "Halsschmerzen" (suffering from neck-pain) by other soldiers.

But even if you don't seek medals, at the end of the day when you return home with PTSD and your limbs gone, they will be your only reward.
>>
>>1398382
Fair enough. Having an actual example to support your case has indicated to me that I'm out of my depth and so I respectfully withdraw my argument.
>>
Medals as a motivator works well as long as the government persuades the public that medals are noble and having them is a badge of honor.

They're also recognition for deeds done, not motivation (mostly). Nobody's enticing soldiers to get shot for wound medals.
>>
>>1398382
you probably could drown in pussy with that thing on your neck
>>
>>1398465
This

Back when soldiers weren't welfare queens and women didn't have moral objections to foreign conquest a sexy as fuck cross like that could get you drowning in bitches who thought you were cool.
>>
>>1398352
Men like to be submissive while pretending they aren't.
>>
>>1398344
t. happily living with artificial anus, wooden legs and shiny piece of metal
>>
It's leftover from honor culture, which ultimately has been passed through western civilization since the days of Greece. It's not *usually* a motivator, but it is considered an acknowledgment of ones sacrifices.
>>
>>1398382
What about people like Ernst Jünger who ended up with medals, limbs, mental wellbeing, transcendent experiences, a long life, fame, respect and autorship of great literature?
>>
>>1398301
You get a shit ton of benefits with an MOH.
>>
>>1398301

>its a "hurr I removed all the meaning behind this symbol and now criticize it based on its purely surface level material value" post

you are 14 years old
>>
>>1398301
People call you a hero, you get 15 min of fame and a sweet patriotic discount on whores.
>>
>>1400116
They are a very tiny minority.
Not him, but the bottom line is that soldiers are essentially playing Russian roulette because they've been tricked into thinking that there's glory in killing other people because their leaders told them to.
>>
It's a sign of recognition, after the fact, that the government recognizes that it sent you to die, that you didn't have to do, but you still did. It's a symbolic gesture. If you don't understand that, you are an autist.
>>
>>1400157
>they've been tricked into thinking that there's glory in killing other people because their leaders told them to.

There is glory in killing other people. Glory is given when other people decide to give it. If your culture values killing other people, congrats you've gotten yourself some glory. Not from you, from a great many other people.
>>
>>1398369
“A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction.
You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

People fight for what they believe in. Ribbons and medals are just reconition for the time, effort, and sacrifice they put in. No one I ever served with expected to recieve bronze stars, or arcoms. We never asked for them, we just got them. Its motivation. It boosts morale. Iagine a miliary where you didnt recieve shit for your service. Nothing. No thanks, no rank promotion, no medal. Nothing. Youd be demoralized and question your entire decision to have joined in the first place.
>>
>>1399801
so what you think they shouldn't recognize when some one sacrifices their limb?
>>
>>1402191
did NOT mean to reply OH WELL
>>
>>1398352
So much bullshit

>Men are submissive
Men like fraternity, that is, a sense of belonging. They respect assertiveness and authority, but to truly belong it's expected that you yourself have assertiveness.
The military instills subordination into men because it's necessary for the chain of command to properly function, but their methods to do certainly don't count on fucking submissiveness.
The reason men go to the military and women don't are cultural and physical.

>Men aren't down to earth, men aren't pragmatic
The fact that men are the majority in concrete activities (like trades, STEM), women are the majority in abstract activities (pedagogy, sociology), the fact that women fluctuate to idealist views and men fluctuate to realist political views. Perhaps the point that men usually just solve things directly while women look for workarounds (not even a meme)

>Muh good buy
>Women are smart enough not to
Bullshit. Medals are an acknowledgement, not an encouragement.
Men do it out of duty and fraternity, not to the government but to their brothers in arms.
Beyond that the payment they receive for service is in cash and benefits, not medals. Medals are, again, not rewards or stumili but acknowledgements.
And if women are so smart why do they cry so hard about wanting to serve?
The reasons they don't have to do with physical (as in biological) and cultural reasons, traditionally the female role is not of a warrior.

Now go listen to hardbass you cheeky cheeki breeki cunt.
>>
>>1398364
>>Because for some reason the people at the top decided that soldiers being allowed to rob and rape and take wives as spoils of war was no longer a good thing so they tricked them into accepting cheap trinkets instead.
>I hope you don't believe this.
Do you even history? How do you think they used to pay soldiers?
>>
No one sane every does something in combat trying to get an award. dumbasses that do, get them selves killed.
>>
plenty of shitheads get disillusioned once they are in the field, or once their superiors cast choices that they disagree with.
>>
>>1398382
>But even if you don't seek medals, at the end of the day when you return home with PTSD and your limbs gone, they will be your only reward.
do not forget a little pension and priority seats on trains and buses
>>
>>1402266
True, because usually the medals are for people just trying to survive or just trying to help their comrades, who end up going above the usual to do so.
>>
>>1402282
There's more to it than that. The situation isn't exactly amazing, and should be better, but it's already an improvement over certain other countries.

Back home in the 80s you could be sent home because the barracks didn't have enough food for the troops for the month, and pay was often "held onto" due to shortages.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.