[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What really sparked the economic explosion of growth in the US
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1467272786299.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1467272786299.gif
2 MB, 500x281
What really sparked the economic explosion of growth in the US during the 1980's? Was it really due to Reagan's tax cuts? Foriegn investment?
>>
The beginning of outsourcing manufacturing, First Iraq war and Saddam trying to drop petro dollar.
>>
>>1397598
>first Iraq war

Y-You mean the Iran-Iraq war right?
>>
>>1397584
The fact the economy was recovering from a huge inflation-led recession caused by the oil embargo.

Almost none of the neoliberal policies of Reagan had a real effect until the late 80's-90's.
>>
There was no explosion of growth. In fact, growth was inferior compared to the 70s and 90s (but pretty much in line) according to historical series from the BEA.
Average Annual GDP Growth by decade:
1970s 3.24
1980s 3.15
1990s 3.23
2000s 1.82
2010s 2.1

Source of yearly gdp growth:
http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?ReqID=9&step=1#reqid=9&step=3&isuri=1&904=1970&903=1&906=a&905=2016&910=x&911=0
>>
>>1397584

What the fuck you are talking about? The 1980's sort of recovered from the 1970's in which they solved stagflation, but it didn't really improve in until 1990's.
>>
>>1397637
Ehhh I think he is talking about Reagan's rule.

Just separating them up into decades is pretty abritrary and stupid.

1973 and 1979 were a result of Keynesism inflation running into the energy crisis.
1980-1983 were killing inflation and shifting America towards a neoliberal economic system.
1991 was the start of our debt bubble/bust cycle.
2000 was the end of the tech productivity boom which led to rising debt.
2008 was the result of debt rises, high interest rates, and low productivity gains.
2015-2016 has been about populism and backlash against neoliberalism, leading to economic stagnation at 2-3% GDP growth worldwide.

Too difficult to attribute the changes to a single president. For better or worse, the world is more globally integrated today.
>>
>>1397665
Personally I think uncertainly about presidential policies has a bigger short term effect than what the president actually does.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.