[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did everyone get into /his? >be wee lad getting to watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 800x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 800x486
How did everyone get into /his?

>be wee lad getting to watch history channel at night with dad during the "hitter program" days
>thought it was pretty neat my great grandad was a major in the Canadian forces in WWII
>best friends dad was in service so we'd always get to play army with milsurp

And after that I was away ebernight reading visual dictionary's from medieval knights to the Vietnam war. By around grade 7 was correcting history class teachers on stupid shit

Tell me your stories his f a m
>>
>Be young me
>Not know how to use internet
>It's filled with hackers and pedophiles and don't ever give out your credit card info
>Watch history and science channels
>Learn more than I ever did in the next 10 years of school
>Browse wikipedia
>Learn even more about science
>Burn out on science
>Everything's been discovered
>Except our very own history which is murky af
>Learn more
>Learn more
>Meet great teacher who instilled a passion for it in me
>Get better
>Learn more
>Surpass peers

Now I'm nicknamed the "librarian" and tutor 10 year olds
>>
File: .....oyvey.gif (1 MB, 350x325) Image search: [Google]
.....oyvey.gif
1 MB, 350x325
>>1397903
>be in 4th Grade
>teacher starts teaching about the ''''Holocaust''''
>"and they used the bodies to make soap"
>hold up bitch, this sound like bullshit
>Start reading about WWII
>find a shit ton of WWII plane models in a farmhouse my family bought
>Know almost everything about WWII military technology by 8th Grade
>start reading up on the ''''Holocaust''''
>The more I read, the more ridiculous it all sounds
>none of it makes any sense
>bring this up with history teacher
>REEEEE ANON DONT BE RACIST!
>get sent to office
>okay, there is definitely something up
>teachers have never had an issue with me questioning other areas of history
>read Hitler's War by David Irving
>Holy shit this is good
>Start to realize that the Axis have been unjustly demonized for over 50 years
I fucking love history, but my specialty has, and always will be WWII.
>>
>iranian-american
>dad would tell me what stories he knew about the achamenids, parthians, sassanids, samanids, safavids
>he eventually ran out of stories and i had to go looking for my own

Pretty basic backstory I guess desu.

Like most people he had too much emphasis on the Achaemenids imo. They had a ton of clay but I just don't find them as interesting as the sassanids or safavids.
>>
>>1397903
>be liberal in high school
>continually disappointed by liberal government and policies
>tell myself it's a necessary evil
>start reading left wing thinkers
>realize it's not necessary and that only revolution can provide for the working man

>>1397948
>calls himself a WWII expert
>Holocaust denier
>>
>>1397948
> but my specialty has, and always will be WWII
yeah you and every other sophomore in high school who knew about Stalingrad before the teacher discussed it

>was super leftist because of my parents
>play Fallout NV and get really into guns
>hit up /k/ for information
>introduced to right wing ideals not through the filter of a liberal for the first time
>get really into war history from /k/
>move on to /lit/ to learn more about ideology and philosophy
>avid about history and the humanities ever since
shit's been my life ever since, learning is fun /his/
>>
>>1397956
>holocaust denier
No, I just think it's grossly over exaggerated and not deserving of such a name.
>>
Listen here faggot. I don't think you ever get into something because of something else.

People have a predisposition to things of their own.

Imagine the following scenario: three friends who watch the same WW2 movie together every time they meet might end up following three completely different fields:

the first got into fashion design, because his attention was drawn by the beautiful uniforms of the SS
the second decided to join the military because he was inspired by the bravery of the soldiers
and the third started shitposting on /his/ because he thinks history in general is interesting

And that all happened because of that fucking movie.

What I'm saying is that I think we're all bound to get into history, or whatever field we get into, because of a certain predisposition if I so may say. So don't find meaning or explainings in movies or videogames or whatever the fuck
>>
>>1397948
>specialty WWII
pretty original glad you're covering the era nobody else does
>>
>>1397985
So you're a denier.
>>
>>1397985
>exaggerated
oh anon please do tell us all about it
no infographs thought
>>
>>1398002
>6 million joos
Just do some basic math.
Read up on the crematoria, how many bodies supposedly went through per day, and the resources needed.
In the end, most of the narrative doesn't make sense.
>>
>>1398062
But it is known that most of the jews did in the ghettos thought.

For some who "specializes" in WW2 you sure missed some information.
>>
>>1397903
got into mount and blade warband, then napoleonic wars DLC which lead to North and south mod, which led to hundreds of other mods involving everything from imperial japan to Roman times, its a great game
>>
>>1397948
>axis were the unjustly demonized
>the history is written by winners
how is that 8th grade treating you?
>>1397903
Always liked it in school but wanted to delve deeper into certain eras
>>
File: 1456265723752.png (221 KB, 703x572) Image search: [Google]
1456265723752.png
221 KB, 703x572
>dad's a history buff
>became Marxist in HS because I was a contrarian
>bought into it hard and started believing in Marx's theory of history and that history and econ could explain everything
>parents and teachers encourage it because it's thinking outside the box and figured I'd grow out of it fast
>became history major / econ minor in college to study it more
>professors beat the Marx out of me but also showed me history is mostly boring stuff with no meaning attached to it but occasionally quirky and interesting
>in too deep by the time I abandon Marx and need to graduate
>stuck with a useless BA that I use to bore people on the internet
>making $35k / year as a paralegal and no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life

And to think I could've majored in business or compsci. Learn from my mistakes, friends. Take a few history courses but major in something that'll get you money.
>>
My dad has a major hard on for history. He bought me all the horrible history books when I was young. Fucking loved them, even know they're still a decent read. Obviously not super informative but they were amazingly effective in making history fucking cool to me.
>>
always been into it as a kid, then comes the internet, i would spend hours on wikipedia and /tg/ despite never playing any tabletop before, also /int/ because the history thread there was actually pretty good
>>
Dad's a history professor, he's the main source of my interest in history. Whenever we went on dog walks I'd incessantly ask questions about shit. He's very cynical of his profession, he hates the college system and tries to dissuade people from majoring in history.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.