[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the US advance to Baghdad and dispose of Saddam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: Operation_Desert_Storm.jpg (562 KB, 2346x1650) Image search: [Google]
Operation_Desert_Storm.jpg
562 KB, 2346x1650
Why didn't the US advance to Baghdad and dispose of Saddam Hussein in Desert Storm?
>>
Any older /his/torians have Desert Storm trading cards as a kid?
>>
Because they feared being bogged down in a costly guerilla war.
>>
>In 1992, the U.S. Defense Secretary during the war, Dick Cheney, made the same point:

>I would guess if we had gone in there, we would still have forces in Baghdad today. We'd be running the country. We would not have been able to get everybody out and bring everybody home.

>And the final point that I think needs to be made is this question of casualties. I don't think you could have done all of that without significant additional U.S. casualties, and while everybody was tremendously impressed with the low cost of the (1991) conflict, for the 146 Americans who were killed in action and for their families, it wasn't a cheap war.
>And the question in my mind is, how many additional American casualties is Saddam (Hussein) worth? And the answer is, not that damned many. So, I think we got it right, both when we decided to expel him from Kuwait, but also when the President made the decision that we'd achieved our objectives and we were not going to go get bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq.[122]

IT'S LIKE POTTERY
BRAVO DICK
>>
Because of the Highway of Death nonsense.
The war wasn't exactly popular, but it was impressive and efficient until that shitstorm made up by the media hit and turned public opinion decidedly against the war.
After that, Bush decided not to go into Iraq proper, fearing the public would protest as they did during the Vietnam War, which was still decidedly fresh in the minds of many.
>>
File: mission_accomplished.jpg (355 KB, 2000x1308) Image search: [Google]
mission_accomplished.jpg
355 KB, 2000x1308
>>1397270
George H.W. Bush (The first Wild Beast coming out of the Sea) didn't want to be seen as "Marching into Babylon" and being the harbinger of the Apocalypse. (He left that for his son, the uhm Second Wild Beast)

>inb4 partial sarcasm

But seriously, 41 really didn't want to "March into Babylon"
>>
>>1397278
Yup. I also remember my dad worked for a military contractor that did command and control for the military. Almost had to go to Saudi Arabia. Did go to Germany for a bit.
>>
File: 3ks.webm (2 MB, 1660x792) Image search: [Google]
3ks.webm
2 MB, 1660x792
>>1397270
>>
>>1397270
because that wasn't the objective you retarded mong
>>
If Bush the Greater had been as much of a lapdog and moron as his son was, they would have pressed on to wreck Iraq and turn it into a nobid government contract giveaway.

The Second Iraq War was a wealth transfer from American taxpayers to rich Bush/Cheney supporters.
>>
File: 1463011996511.png (186 KB, 463x515) Image search: [Google]
1463011996511.png
186 KB, 463x515
>>1397369
You are a rude human being
>>
>>1397270
Because Bush Sr. understood the stability Saddam represented compared to the alternative.
>>
>>1397270
Man I love battle maps.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.