[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Genghis Khan dominate so much land in so little time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
I've heard lots of reasons as to how he did it, either him just claiming empty siberian lands or attacking and subjugating cities in horrible economic situations. But I want to hear /his/'s take on it. So, what's your theories as to how he managed to take all that land and lose it like immediately after his death?
>>
horses and bows
>>
>>1394055
Was that really the source of all their success, though? Would've imagined that it's success rate would eventually fall, due to others adapting.
>>
>But I want to hear /his/'s take on it.
Why would you ever want to do that

>>1394068
>Would've imagined that it's success rate would eventually fall, due to others adapting.
This did happen, but not until later. By the 1280s the Mongols were getting trounced.
>>
>>1394030
He slaughtered anyone who didn't immediately surrender to him, but was slightly more merciful after they had actually surrendered and after he had finished killing anyone he thought needed killing.

The empire didn't fall apart immediately after his death. It continued to expand under Ogedei Khan, but after a while internal conflicts involving Genghis Khan's sons, generals, and other prominent figures led to the empire's division and eventual fall, with its remnants being found in shit like the Golden Horde and a few constituent khanates.

Well, that and the fact that a bunch of archers on horses aren't always the best at governing. Every now and then you'll get a Kublai Khan but for the most part they were shit politicians.
>>
He had red hair and green eyes, most likely russian using asiatic fodder.
It happened during russian civil war too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg
>>
>>1394030
His approach to ruling an empire was different to everybody else's at the time and allowed him to grow stronger as he expanded rather than bloating. He ran a meritocracy rather than giving everything to his friends and family and nobility and encouraged those he conquered to consider themselves part of his own rather than defeated subjects. The marriages weren't for the sake of pussy, the man wanted to show that he and ALL of his subjects were one. His wife also adopted a fuckload of his new subjects orphaned by his conquests to show that everyone was his family.

This and promising great spoils for everyone in his army rather than just those at the head led to huge morale and enthusiasm. He knew how to make himself loved.
>>
>>1394100
Really? Source?
>>
>>1394030
>This one big city holds influence over 2000 square miles full tiny hamlets and farmers? Let's sack it and put some loyal minion to rule over the ruins and so he can pay us once in a while.
Bam, 2000 sqm added to a map of our "territory".
>>
>>1394030
Horse Archers are fucking cheats
>>
>>1394100
>He had red hair and green eyes, most likely russian

Green eyes and red hair would imply Finno-Ugric origin
>>
>>1394055
Meme.

Nomadshits with bows have always been in Central Asia since the early BCs. And they didn't have their way all the time. Ask the Xiongnu or the Hyrkanians what happened to them.
>>
competence is basically magic

also loyalty. it's one thing to have good subordinates and another being able to actually leave things to them.
>>
>>1396166

Those nomadshits weren't Turkics or Mongols though.

I've yet to hear Scythians being anything near as brutal as Genghis or Timur.
>>
>>1396166
>Nomadshits with bows have always been in Central Asia since the early BCs. And they didn't have their way all the time
European history is nothing but a succession of horde riding nomads invading. The Indo-Europeans themselves were horse riding nomads.

But just to list some who invaded Europe

Indo-Europeans
Cimmerians
Scythians
Sarmatians
Alans
Avars
Huns
Possibly Slavs
Turks
Magyars
Bulgars
Mongols
Tatars

It's probably only European development in the late middle ages which stopped the tide of an invasion every few centuries.
>>
>>1396178
>I've yet to hear Scythians being anything near as brutal as Genghis or Timur.
Oh they were, it's just far enough back that its a curios oddity rather than a horror. It's interesting how events 800 years ago still clearly influence today.

But according to Herodotus the Scythians blinded their slaves just to prevent uprisings. They're also known to have done brutal human sacrifices and torture. They had no mercy to give anything either.

I think a steppe life makes people cold and brutal.
>>
File: The Scythians 700-300BC-22.jpg (399 KB, 1200x1657) Image search: [Google]
The Scythians 700-300BC-22.jpg
399 KB, 1200x1657
>>1396178
Well, they sacked cities too and put cunts to the sword. Urartu in what is now Armenia the most famous case.

They practiced scalping, if Herodotus is to be believed.

The Old Testament thinks they are locusts.

Persians called them barbarians, and even had a great wall a la the Chinks built versus them (the Hyrkanian Wall). The Chinese called similar Iranic groups in their Western Border barbarians as well and for the longest time considered red hair a disgusting trait.

Anyone who ever came from Central Asia was a total cunt bro.
>>
>>1396187
Except not all those were the classic Steppe Nomad Types. And many were halted in Eastern Europe. The fucking Magyars for example reached Germany only to be halted by Otto. The Knight owes their social standing because they were so fucking important to the defeating of Steppenigs during the late Frankish empire.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.