[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the church favour the ideas of Augustine and condemn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: augustine.jpg (1 MB, 1716x2341) Image search: [Google]
augustine.jpg
1 MB, 1716x2341
Why did the church favour the ideas of Augustine and condemn the ideas of Pelagius? Specifically Pelagius' idea that admission into heaven may be granted to all those who use their freedom of will virtuously, contrasted with Augustine's doctrine that God grants His divine grace to those who he pleases to choose, regardless of how virtuous and devotional they are. Because, surely, the church would wish for people to be under the impression that living a virtuous and devotional life will allow them admission into heaven, as it provides an incentive to lead a good life, so to speak.
>>
>>1386352
Read the Bible
>>
>>1386401
I've read parts of it
>>
The Bible talks about fallen man's inherent, chronic and unchanging badness, this is what Pelagius failed to realise. The Holy Spirit does not indwell and empower the degenerate
>>
>>1386352
>Specifically Pelagius' idea that admission into heaven may be granted to all those who use their freedom of will virtuously, contrasted with Augustine's doctrine that God grants His divine grace to those who he pleases to choose, regardless of how virtuous and devotional they are.
Probably because it contradicts Biblical teaching. Jesus claimed that He was the way, Paul stated that we are saved by grace and not by our own works (though official Catholic doctrine does value works higher than most Protestants, as a "proof" that your faith is genuine rather than as an entry ticket per se).

If we follow Pelagius' idea and claim God grants access to heaven to those who live virtuously... what was the point of Jesus' sacrifice? It only makes sense if you assume humans are inherrently so horrid that none of them truly deserve access to heaven, because even the virtuous are so tainted they could not bear the presence of God. In that case Jesus acting as the broker between Man and God, fulfilling our requirements in our place, makes sense.

I'm no theologian but as far as I see, Pelagius' teaching undermines the sacrifice of Jesus.
>>
Augustine jacked off in a church to 2d.
>>
>>1386529
I see, however I'm still confused by Augustine's idea that if, out of two equally pious men, God only grants His grace to one and not the other, God's choice is totally inscrutable, despite them both leading as monastic a life as the other.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.