[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of Richard Nixon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 456x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 456x270
What does /his/ think of Richard Nixon?
>>
>>1389548
Was he a crook?
>>
>>1389548
despite what the edgelords here will tell you, he wasn't a very good president, though not nearly as bad as history will remember him. everything about his FP was kissinger (I don't really want to talk about him since I don't know as much about him, some people love the guy others hate him). he was also a raving lunatic and everyone on the secret service thought so as well. noteworthy for stalking the halls of the white house drunk as fuck and crying and yelling at portraits of JFK.

Can't believe we got this cunt. Bobby for life
>>
File: tricky dick.jpg (349 KB, 906x1541) Image search: [Google]
tricky dick.jpg
349 KB, 906x1541
>>1389548
>>
>>1389559
The worst thing on that list is the US-China relations.
>>
>>1389559
He also extended the Vietnam War by 5 Years to get into the White House. It's technically treason, but hey.
>>
>>1389632
>He also extended the Vietnam War by 5 Years to get into the White House. It's technically treason, but hey.

le democrat meme
>>
>>1389558
>hates Nixon
>likes the man who literally covered up his brother's voter fraud because he was appointed AG
Wew lad. You deserve the same fate that Bobby got.
>>
>>1389634
http://millercenter.org/presidentialrecordings/johnson/about

Start listening.
>>
File: Alger_Hiss_(1950).jpg (15 KB, 385x300) Image search: [Google]
Alger_Hiss_(1950).jpg
15 KB, 385x300
He knew about the commies. He knew about the Jews.
>>
Watergate was fucking stupid.

The 1972 general election was one of the most one-sided blowouts in the history of the electoral college and he still felt the need to do risky, illegal shit.

That singlehandedly doomed South Vietnam.

That said, something like Watergate was necessary to get Congress to crack down on the FBI and CIA.
>>
>>1389669
>Watergate was fucking stupid.
It makes perfect sense when you look at it in context. The GOP was still extremely leery of the Democrats after the 1960 election which had mass voter fraud in favor of Kennedy and LBJ (though had it been counted correctly, Kennedy still would have won but by an even narrower margin). That they would pull a stunt like Watergate in response is understandable. That Nixon would attempt to cover up Watergate, as the loser of the 1960 election, is even more understandable. Watergate was simply a response from the shady politicking that the Democrats had been doing since fucking Jefferson was President.
>>
>>1389689
Also, re-reading my post, I don't mean to imply that Republicans weren't guilty of doing the same since the party creation either. The difference is that the Democrats were nationally caught, it was swept under the table, and Kennedy got away with it because his brother was Attorney General. It was a giant dickslap to the face for the GOP.
>>
>>1389641
>I'm indifferent towards Nixon and think he's a fucking weirdo, therefore I should be shot

the kennedys are unscrupulous at worst.
>>
>>1389738
You deserve to be shot because you sucked a treasonous snakes cock in the same post. The penalty for treason is death, senpai.
>>
>>1389559
hmm, wow, a biased list of accomplishments. someone could whip one up for buchanan too.

look, nixon was by no means the worst president, he was average. I respect his resignation a great deal (cough clinton cough). but to imply that he was great or should be remembered for anything other than watergate is just contrarianism.
>>
>>1389747
that's enough 4chan for me today
>>
>>1389559
Watergate.
>>
>>1389752
>but to imply that he was great or should be remembered for anything other than watergate is just contrarianism.

While I don't think Nixon was great (he fundamentally misunderstood that the President is supposed to be likable to the people), it's way too early to say that it's contrarian to argue against Watergate defining his legacy. Realistically, it was a minor hotel break in that he had some awareness of. It has definitely affected the American people's trust in their politicians, but COINTELPRO under J. Edgar Hoover throughout the 60s should probably have been a bigger scandal. For whatever reason, it wasn't. Nixon's foreign policy, the good and the bad, will probably increase as a part of his legacy as time wears on, as will some of his socially liberal reforms in navigating the end of the Counterculture era.
>>
>>1389548
Proof that the US should have an elected council rather than just the president and VP. And most importantly, all on separate tickets. A true oligarchy, not the capitalist one.
>but congress
In the executive branch, in key positions. Imagine if Nixon had been given Presidential-level abilities, but only for Foreign Affairs.
>>
>>1389826
That sounds like a recipe for disaster with each sub branch fighting in congress for funding
>>
>>1389558

Team bobby for ever. would like to have seen kennedy blow out nixon for a second time.
>>
>>1389764
Overhyped. Not even the worst thing he ever did.
>>
>>1389548
Absolute Madman, but a good president.

However his ending of Breton Woods sits ill with me. On the one hand it was inevitable, Keynes even predicted it long in advance. On the other, it did end the closest thing to a good economic system we've had in a long time and replace it with the wage-stagnating job-exporting policies of the present day.
>>
he wasn't that bad.

if he had not banned drugs, gone to fiat currency, and did gun control. He would have been perfect.
>>
File: 1410331277415.jpg (62 KB, 579x523) Image search: [Google]
1410331277415.jpg
62 KB, 579x523
>>1389944
>legalize drugs
>ban guns

This logic doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>1389949
Specifically:
>banning one but leaving the other unbanned
>or legalizing one but not legalizing the other

>why_are_we_fighting_it_instead_of_taxing_it_Bill_Mauldin.jpg
>>
>>1389949
not ban drugs and not ban guns. while maintaining a gold backed currency.

this is what i am saying.
>>
>>1389548
The way he handled Vietnam, China, and the Soviet Union, not to mention Kissinger, will have a growing appreciation as people become more aware how minor Watergate is in the record of political scandals.

Americans trusted their representatives and thus Watergate was a wake-up call more than a truly grave matter.
>>
>>1389559
>Worst president in US history
Only a nut would think that
Bush or Obama were the worst
>>
was hounded out of office for something commonplace today
>>
>>1390584
Woodrow Wilson, FDR, LBJ, or Andrew Johnson.
>>
>>1391707
>Forgetting James Buchanan
at least you got FDR right for starting the precedent of having too many executive agencies.
>>
>>1390584
>>1391707
>>1391996

not mentioning Warren G. Hard-on.

The only competent thing that this man did, was talking about his penis and trousers
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.