[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fish out of water
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
File: 1467851607371.jpg (47 KB, 543x400) Image search: [Google]
1467851607371.jpg
47 KB, 543x400
I'm always facinated to hear about tactics, equipment and units used later or earlier then you'd generally expect.

Pic is French Cuirassiers in 1914, the French quickly learned that WWI was a new kind of war
>>
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 469x314) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 469x314
Polish cavalry used in WW2, equipped with spears
>>
>>1384982
>spears
>>
>>1384966
Germans had cuirassiers as well you dumb memester.
>>
>>1384966
Everyone used cavalry in the first months of ww1, they were used for the duration on the eastern front
>>
File: kenya_bow_arrow_02.jpg (89 KB, 611x404) Image search: [Google]
kenya_bow_arrow_02.jpg
89 KB, 611x404
The Kenyan government confiscated the guns of the Kalenjin and Maasai in the run-up to the presidential election because of fears of violence. They ended up using bows and arrows instead. I remember reading an interview with a local bowyer who was actually really excited because he'd been stuck making fowling bows and now had the opportunity to make high-poundage warbows.
>>
>>1384966
>>1384982

This is actually mind blowing, the more I think about it
>>
During the 1798 rebellion, the United Irishmen mostly used pikes
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-08-10-42-21.png (357 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-08-10-42-21.png
357 KB, 1080x1920
>>1384990
>sabres aren't swords
>>
File: ww2 spearmen.jpg (116 KB, 726x517) Image search: [Google]
ww2 spearmen.jpg
116 KB, 726x517
>>
>>1385035
>When you're so fucking pissed, you're literally going medieval on they asses.
>>
File: images.jpg (32 KB, 514x286) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
32 KB, 514x286
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragoons_of_Angola

The Portuguese wre using dragoons as late as 1975 as a specialty unit to deal with guerillas
>>
>>1385078
thats not TERRIBLY anachronistic.
>>
>>1385047
>The same day, German war correspondents were brought to the battlefield, together with two journalists from Italy. They were shown the corpses of Polish cavalrymen and their horses, as well as German tanks that had arrived at the place after the battle. One of the Italian correspondents, Indro Montanelli, sent home an article, in which he described the bravery and heroism of Polish soldiers, who charged German tanks with sabres and lances. Although such a charge did not happen and there were no tanks used during the combat, the myth was used by German propaganda during the war. German propaganda magazine Die Wehrmacht reported on 13 September that the Poles had gravely underestimated German weapons, as Polish propaganda had suggested that German armored vehicles were only covered with sheet metal, leading to a grotesque attack. After the end of World War II, it was still used by Soviet propaganda as an example of stupidity of pre-war Polish commanders, who allegedly did not prepare their country for the war and instead wasted the blood of their soldiers. As late as the 1990s, this myth was still taught in history classes in American high schools and colleges.

>George Parada states: "Contrary to German propaganda, Polish cavalry brigades never charged tanks with their sabres or lances as they were equipped with anti-tank weapons such as 37 mm Bofors wz.36 (exported to UK as Ordnance Q.F. 37 mm Mk I) antitank guns, that could penetrate 26 mm of armour at 600 m at 30 degrees. The cavalry brigades were in the process of being reorganized into motorized brigades."
>>
>>1385078
That was pretty common for militias then
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.