[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the gladiator thumbs-down a real thing or made up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76 KB, 1920x1080
Was the gladiator thumbs-down a real thing or made up?
>>
What pollice verso actually means is the subject of scholarly debate that isn't concluded yet.

>it is uncertain whether the thumb was turned up, turned down, held horizontally, or concealed inside the hand to indicate positive or negative opinions
>>
I've read someplace about a thesis that the Arena killing choice contested the Bread and Circus theory since the Arena was a highly democratic event and almost everyone "voted" the life of the gladiator.

Thumbs up: Execute
Thumbs down: Sheathe weapon

The thesis also said that gladiators were very expensive so they wouldn't kill people all the time. In fact gladiator tombstones often said that they lived to old age.
>>
>>1383088
>In fact gladiator tombstones often said that they lived to old age.
Wouldn't that be due to only gladiators who won their freedom being able to afford tombstones? I doubt a slave would get anything more than a mass grave.
>>
>>1383180
Being a slave in rome didnt stop you from earning money
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.