[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it just a meme weapon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: 13361448230 (10).jpg (227 KB, 750x498) Image search: [Google]
13361448230 (10).jpg
227 KB, 750x498
Was it just a meme weapon?
>>
Sure you could call it that.
>>
>>1382637
Nah it had a meme blade but the grip wasn't exactly memey imo
>>
>>1382637
If I recall correctly it was made strong with smart techniques they applied to their shit metal resources. It was good for them, but not anyone else.
>>
>>1382637
Since it was an Icon as well as an actual weapon, yeah.
>>
File: Dao Guide.jpg (104 KB, 972x595) Image search: [Google]
Dao Guide.jpg
104 KB, 972x595
>>1382656
>It was good for them, but not anyone else.
>Spouting /k/ Memes
Plenty of Asians like the Chinese thought otherwise. It was a popular import from Japan.
>>
It's an alright sword
>>
File: Peidao.jpg (86 KB, 1110x440) Image search: [Google]
Peidao.jpg
86 KB, 1110x440
>>1382672
Wrong image.
>>
File: m'sensei.jpg (128 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
m'sensei.jpg
128 KB, 900x675
Not always.

Before the mongols invasions Samurai swords had become thin ceremonial/dueling weapons that broke in real combat and had to be thickened when the Mongols came. In the Sengoku period, civil war, rebellion and banditry was endemic and the Samurai warrior culture reached its peak. After peace was restored and gunpowder shifted the focus to conscripts, the Samurai became less professional soldierss and more a social class, their martial background was romanticized rather like how neckbeards fantasize about being navy seals and such. Katanas again became impractical showpieces for Walter Mittys.
>>
File: Kamakura Period Uchigatana.jpg (73 KB, 594x359) Image search: [Google]
Kamakura Period Uchigatana.jpg
73 KB, 594x359
>>1382701
>Before the mongols invasions Samurai swords had become thin ceremonial/dueling weapons that broke in real combat and had to be thickened when the Mongols came.
Before the 1500's, Japanese swords were big as fuck.
>>
>>1382637
Not really. It's not the greatest sword, but it IS effective.
>>
>>1382714
those were just type of sword not all looked like that
>>
>>1382714
big ass swords break and bend more easily, steve-sama

that's why greatswords are usually very thick. big long katanas are little more than show pieces unless made from modern steel
>>
>>1382948
getting stabbed with a sharp piece of metal would suck no matter what kind of sword just killed you
>>
>>1383045
Frankly that is crap, long katana, nodachi could cut a horse out from under its rider, and were not known for being fragile. Those longer war swords were made for durability.

>>1382701
Plenty of practical blades were made during the edo period, though they were practical for dueling rather than warfare
>>
>>1382637
>>1382672
>>1382677
>>1382701
>>1382714
>unironically having pictures of Katanas saved
Go back to your containment board >>>/a/
>>
>>1383277
>unironically hates katanas.
I thought this was a history board?

It's a fucking sword. Period. Loving/Hating it means you drank the shitty memes from both sides of the Weeaboo fence.
>>
>>1382637
Historically? No.

It was just another weapon, designed for specific conditions (opposing foes likely susceptible to cuts over thrusts, to be used without shields and against foes without shields, and to be a secondary weapon in open battle while being versatile enough to become a primary weapon in indoor or confined space combat). It was effective enough that the basic design persisted for almost a millennia, being popular throughout east Asia as this anon pointed out >>1382672 and being a ubiquitous symbol of social station.

It might not have been as effective as some European counterparts in certain areas, and was almost identical in design to the Kriegsmesser (pic related), a weapon associated with peasants and mercenaries, and not especially popular, but it was still an effective design for its purpose.

As a modern symbol? Yes.

Orientalism is still a really pervasive force in western culture. The katana symbolises Japanese martial culture and tradition, which, like that of the Mongols, Chinese and Arabs among others are still often fetishised by western film, TV and video game media. People latch onto them because they are exotic, and as such perceived as bearing some quality that is not matched by any local counterpart. Because of this, and the fact that it is associated with perhaps the strongest and strictest non-European warrior culture, makes it an extremely common sight in media, while symbolising exotic foreign mystery that people love to latch onto.

This, combined with the fact that Japan was the only large Asian nation to avoid western colonisation, and then the only non-western nation to actively take part in the colonial era, makes Japanese culture revered even more by orientalists (otakus and such), as they proved themselves against the west, and validated (in the minds of orientalists) their culture's status as not only exotic but potent and venerable. The katana is the ultimate symbol, for many people, of this unique strength.
>>
I don't know why people hype swords the fuck up when they were, at best, secondary weapons. Most people used spears or similar.

In Japan if you used your sword you were either out of options or you sucked at spear fighting or shooting a bow.
>>
>>1383605
Or your spear broke, or your an archer who infantry closed with, or your Calvary using shock tactics at the end of the battle,

or your not on a battlefield at all but need to fight or defend yourself.
>>
>>1383634

I did say last resort.
>>
>>1383741

Oh wow, no I didn't. I meant to though. Weird.
>>
>>1382637
It is worth noting that the average tachi is actually about 2 feet long. They just look larger when manlets carry them.
>>
>>1382637
they didn't have any trouble killing each other with them
>>
>>1383755
Don't know where your getting that figure, even an edo period blade was over two feet. many tachi were longer, between 90 and 120 cm
>>
>>1383507
There's also additional glorification in that Bushido and everything associated with it was propaganda largely created by the late Tokugawa and Meiji era governments to promote militarism and the idea that the Japanese were a "warrior race" or whatever bullshit. Same as the "norse paganism" the Nazis loved.

I mean for example, the Boshin War in 1868-1869 had European style armies with rifles, machine guns, modern artillery and steam-powered ironclads, but in art from the period primarily depicts samurais riding around on horses with spears and swords.
>>
>>1383277
>le talking about katanas is autistic me me

You should probably leave the internet and realize people actually study weaponry
>>
>>1383741
That "last resot" happened a LOT.

For cavalry in particula,r any hard battle would see swords coming out. The same is true for most infantry as well, though there's a possibility you'll be skipping past it to a dagger.

Polearms eventually get broken, dropped, interleaved, or bypassed.
>>
File: nipponsteel.gif (64 KB, 481x200) Image search: [Google]
nipponsteel.gif
64 KB, 481x200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo
>>
File: kritter.jpg (131 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
kritter.jpg
131 KB, 525x700
>>1384183
>blunt longsword
>imppoper technique
>cheap larp-armor
get this shite out of my face
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.