[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is achievement in any endeavor in life, the only way to attain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1386178823465.jpg (43 KB, 620x454) Image search: [Google]
1386178823465.jpg
43 KB, 620x454
Is achievement in any endeavor in life, the only way to attain immortality?

Reason I'm asking is, if you think about it, it is quite uncanny that Stirner is a meme, and Shakespeare is still recited on a stage after 400 years, and the Greeks are still read widely.

How do you think Stirner would've reacted if he knew people 150 years later would be using his ideas every day to score cheap points over layers of global electric tubes projected on to a screen?

Isn't this a form of immortality? I mean, the guys are still dead, but their mind still lives in a weird way.
>>
File: 131.png (351 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
131.png
351 KB, 500x500
>>1382539
Nothing is immortal. Even Shakespeare, Ovid and Homer will be forgotten and swallowed by time eventually.
>>
>>1382546
You really think so? Even with all the tools we have that preserves knowledge?
>>
No, having kids is
>>
>>1382548
Will the NSA's hard-drive survive the heat death anon?
>>
>>1382563
But your kids are different people though. They aren't really you, other than part of your genetic material.
>>
>>1382565
>Will the NSA's hard-drive survive the heat death anon?

No, but it might survive all the way until the heat death, which is a timescale so insanely large that it practically constitutes eternity.
>>
>>1382546
Even more importantly, from their perspective it is completely irrelevant whether they are remembered or not.
>>
>>1382578
You can say that now, since they're dead, but it might've been important to them while they were alive, just as it might be important to you that someone remembers you when you are dead.
>>
>>1382566

So?

I have no problem with that. Life's meaning lies in giving your children a better world to live in. Then when you die, you make room for them so that they can pass on the torch. This idea that you should be forever present in reality sounds really selfish
>>
>>1382591
Way to completely evade the topic.

The point wasn't about the future of your kids, the point was in what way does this make you immortal.

And the short answer is it doesn't, because your kids aren't you.
>>
>>1382568
>a timescale so insanely large that it practically constitutes eternity
I think the actual eternity of your non-life surpasses the finitude of digital data dude. Although, conceptually if the universe collapses and reconstitutes itself again its possible that the "you" you are right now will be reanimate in exactly the same way, given infinite possibilities. From your perspective it would have seemed like you closed your eyes and woke up as a baby somewhere, since your brain was dead and unable to process time in the untold trillion-year interim.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.