[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw the golden age of passenger airlines is over >you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10
>tfw the golden age of passenger airlines is over
>you will never be a Pan Am Clipper pilot flying the Buenos Aires - London route on a Stratocruiser in 1958
>you will never have a crew of homely cabin stewardesses and a South African copilot
>you will never fly in the age before brown people spent their free time blowing up aircraft

How does /his/ deal with this feel?
>>
>>1381016

>You will never have to sit in a plane full of smokers. And drunks. And smoking drunks.
>You will never get soaked to the skin walking onto the tarmac and boarding up portable stairs.
>You will never have to dress up in a shirt and tie and wear uncomfortable dress shoes in order to board a flight.
>>
>>
>>1381050
Sounds romantic
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 470x470
>>1381080

Meh. I guess it was the fashion to dress your son like John-John at JFK's funeral.
>>
File: aa-logo.png (28 KB, 622x96) Image search: [Google]
aa-logo.png
28 KB, 622x96
>We now live in a world in which the classic "AA" American Airlines logo was replaced by pic related.
>>
File: 1336433485433.jpg (41 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1336433485433.jpg
41 KB, 500x490
>The first terrorist suicide bombing was in 1983
>people who grew up before that point never worried about suicide bombings, because they weren't a thing that happened outside of war zones
>the popular image of Islam in the west used to be mystics and the mysterious orient, similar to Hinduism
>there were several generations of human beings that took the ability to cut your steak with a knife, while on an airplane, as a normal thing
>>
>>1381194
The 21st century was a mistake
>>
File: 1342134977392.gif (193 KB, 147x104) Image search: [Google]
1342134977392.gif
193 KB, 147x104
>>1381214
Fucking Khomeini.

Fucking Al-Huq

Fucking Bin-Laden

Fucking Arafat

Fucking Saudis in general, but especially Fahd
>>
This is more of an /n/ feel
>>
>tfw parents were flight attendants for 20 years on a glamorous South American airline with a perfect safety record and consistently rated #1 in service and quality in Latin America.
>Suit and tie level clothing expected on all flights.
>The national airport was important enough to be regularly visited by the Concorde.
>Regular routes all over Europe and America, grew up with parents doing weekly groceries in Rome.
>Paid in US Dollars which made us suddenly upper-middle class.
>1990s neoliberal Venezuelan IMF cucks sell the airline for pennies and fire everyone, steal the pensions, sell planes for scrap, and close operations.
>Followed by Chavez who considers air travel bourgeois so no pensions, national airline reestablished as a shitty monstrosity that crashes all the time and whose only international routes are Havana and a super sketchy Caracas-Damascus-Tehran route which somehow only military members are allowed on, which is according to people in the know used to funnel Hezbollah and IRGC Quds Force troops back and forth.
>Other airlines abandon Venezuela as all tourism potential is lost due to the country being a living hell now.
>Lose chance at guaranteed pilot job promised to me at the airline since childhood.
>Move to Miami and work at airport there, most customers are niggas flying in wife beaters and sandals.

Fuck this pleb century.
>>
>>1381016
I personally blame the deregulation of airlines and the advent of low cost carriers and the growth of aviation for the masses. Was speaking to a friend of mine who runs a major airline's first class lounge here, and she too lamented the death of the golden age of aviation where everyone involved in the industry was part of one big family and not divided or fearing for job security as they do now.

If it makes you feel any better, pilots are still typically professionals and act like the golden age never ended (at least western ones).

>you will never have a South African copilot
They're great fun.
>>
>>1381214
this desu
>>
>>1381168
I don't see a problem there
they did it so people don't get confused between the battery size and the airline,
>>
>>1381833
I live in Australia, I do not like taking month long boat rides to get to another country. I do not like driving for days to get to other parts of this country.
if cheap airline tickets means the golden age of airlines is over, I say good riddance
>>
File: MVC-012S_lg.jpg (73 KB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
MVC-012S_lg.jpg
73 KB, 400x303
>tfw the golden age of airship travel is over
>you will never be a Deutsche Zeppelin Reederei captain flying the Frankfurt - New York route on the Hindenburg in 1938
>you will never have a crew of aryan blonde cabin stewardesses and an italian copilot
>you will never fly in the age before jewish people spent their free time buying up airlines

How does /his/ deal with this feel?
>>
>>1382430
Australia is a slightly different case precisely because of the distances between population centers, the duopoly (which might end soon since virgin is bleeding money), and the way government regulates the industry.

You can also blame what op is talking about on flying becoming an 'everyday' thing in addition to it becoming available to everyone, so you get people wearing crap clothing and acting like the pigs they are in everyday life. These people also often have an expectation for first class service or something but fail to realise how razor thin profit margins are and that you get what you pay for.

t. commercial pilot
>>
>>1381016
What an oddly specific fantasy, anon.
>>
>>1382519
Oddly specific fantasies are the best ones
>>
Reminder that air travel is now a fraction of the price it was then and literally 2000% safer.
Reminder that "muh glamour, muh luxury" is still available if you're willing to pay """"golden age"""" prices (but you aren't).
Reminder that "homely" means unattractive, you idiot.
>>
Solar powered personal aircraft when?
>>
You will never break the sound barrier on the Concorde

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde

another thing Saudis stole from us
>>
>>1381016

>ywn again pay a galloping sum of moneys for taking a flying bus from point A to point B
>ywn again wear uncomfortable clothes in the aforementioned flying bus while its taking you from point A to point B
>ywn have to look like a gentrified faggot and pretend it's all special, relevant or glamourous in the least while you board the flying bus.
>ywn get complimentary orange juice, snacks and/or meal though, but fuck it, for that ticket prize I'll get a hundred times better meal and orange juice when I get off the flying bus.
>'eh ya, bring me a coke slut' 'that'd be 3 yuros ya pinhead'. 'thx.here'

God bless low cost airlines.
>>
>>1382880

Gotta wait for auto-pilot to be perfected. They're not letting anyone manually fly those things.
>>
>>1381016
>>you will never fly in the age before brown people spent their free time blowing up aircraft
And yet you were still more likely to die in a plane from all the safety features and procedures that were lacking
>>
>>1381016

>ywn taxi through the runway aboard a McDonald's Douglas McDc8 while the pilot is drinking a McShake and bantering with the radio operator as a BongoBoing 727 from Kashmir Airways proceeds into landing while the approach tower controller is reading sbördo bærdö comics
>>
>>1382910
>I wear cargo shorts because the pockets are more efficient.
>>
>homely
You do realize "homely" was used as a synonym for "ugly", right? Back in the early days of passenger flight they typically only hired decent looking women as stewardesses. They had weight and age restrictions as well.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.