[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. The 4th Crusade doesn't happen. What would have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: JUST.jpg (193 KB, 550x380) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
193 KB, 550x380
1. The 4th Crusade doesn't happen.

What would have been the most immediate changes (i.e., things we can be reasonably confident would happen) in history?

What would be the biggest changes (i.e. big things that would be very unlikely to happen as they did in our history)?

My guess is that de-moorified Iberia would grow rich through Mediterranean trade towards the north, leaving America a few more hundred years before Portuguese or British sailors stumbled upon it. Spain would probably attempt to control the Sicily and southern Italy, pitting it into battles with the Byzantines and Venetians; as well as maybe expand towards Africa to keep the de-moorification tradition. Whether Spain would be able to subdue Portugal remains to be seen, but chances are either of the two would become the main player on the region depending on their partners.

Moscow would never come to prominence, and Constantinople keeping its influence in the Slavic tribes and maybe maintaining Greek as a lingua franca in Eastern Europe. This means Russia might not have become the massive country it became.

The Industrial revolution might have come later without the riches from the New World coming when they did, and it remains to be seen if the Romans would be able to adopt and modernize along with the Europeans (assuming it always developed in England initially, which isn't far-fetched). Otherwise, they may get overwhelmed by Iberian and Venetian merchants vying for monopoly of the Mediterranean.

What are your thoughts, /his/?
>>
>>1380945
One thing is for sure, the Ottomans would've never existed
>>
>>1381011
I am okay with this.
>>
>>1381011
Rebel Turkish tribes could always have risen, they just wouldn't be prominent and would have been easily dealt with.

The name Ottoman would most likely never have existed though, given that it came from Osman himself.

>>1381125
>not enjoying ottomans
What is wrong with you.
>>
>>1380945
>most immediate change
ottomans are unlikely to have become the rising star that they were in history

>biggest change
byzantine empire lasts much longer, though the technological stagnation propagated by strong conservative roman tradition causes them to fall behind and become an even weaker version of the Ottomans that gets picked apart through the ages. The balkans, however will probably remain as a unified Byzantine Empire that identifies itself as Roman, preventing the great fracture that caused such strife throughout the existence of the modern Balkan region.

everything else beyond this already stretched interpretation of an alternate event would be fantastical extrapolation that is just as likely as the next prediction.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.