[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please educate me on the history of the Grand Duchy of Burgundy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: meme.jpg.jpg (18 KB, 353x210) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg.jpg
18 KB, 353x210
Please educate me on the history of the Grand Duchy of Burgundy
>>
>>1380827
more succession instability than the Roman Empire during the Third Century Crisis
>>
>>1380827
a bastard child of early french and german differences that slowly evolved out of lotharingia.

They did some shit in the south eastern part of France, god knows when because they're borders changed a lot throughout their history.
>>
>>1380827
I know almost nothing about Burgundy but I'll try my best.

>pop up from Lotharingia maybe
>borders change a lot
>get the lowlands somehow
>allies England in HYW
>Stops allying England in HYW
>Independent from France?
>Not independent from France?
>Who knows?
>I don't
>King dies in a war against someone
>Land is split between France and Austria
I got that last part from EU IV
>>
>>1380827
French dukes so powerful they sided with England during the 100 Years War. Burned Joan because it would look bad if her judges weren't French.
Last Duke was Charles "the Bold" or "the Rash", depending on how you feel when you're translating. They pulled his body out from underneath five layers of his knight's corpses.
>>
File: burgundiankingdom1473.png (976 KB, 2025x3025) Image search: [Google]
burgundiankingdom1473.png
976 KB, 2025x3025
>>1380827
first of all, it was just a Duchy; a powerful duchy, but a duchy nonetheless

>starts out as your average loyal French vassal
>in the late 1300s manages to inherit a collection of Duchies and Counties in the north(these would become the Low Countries)
>Burgundian Dukes become so powerful that they are essentially autonomous
>back England in the Hundred Years War
>After the war they continue to grow more powerful
>fight the Swiss and the Austrians
>Duke Charles the Bold attempts to establish a Third Burgundian Kingdom
>Convinces the Holy Roman Emperor to crown
>Emperor backs out b/c he doesn't like Charles' "attitude" or whatever
>Charles dies at the battle of Nancy in 1477 with no male heir
>realm passes to his daughter Mary
>her son Philip von Habsburg inherits the duchy
>his son Charles inherits Burgundy, Spain Austria, Naples, and the HRE
>France gets Butthurt and takes back the historically French parts of Burgundy
>cue several hundred years of border conflict between France and the HRE and later Prussia that culminates with the Franco-Prussian war in 1870

tl:dr A powerful Duchy on the border between France and the HRE is inherited by the Habsburgs, causing hundreds of years of bloodshed
>>
>>1381811
>>1381851
the Duchy of Burgundy was created as the West Frankish version of the Kingdom of Arelat, Lotharingia wasn't involved
>>
Got btfo by swiss everytime
>>
>>1380827
Burgundy was cool. Its a shame that Charles ruined it, althought you can't really blame the guy for challenging Lorraines succession, as the land joined up the two existing areas of territory. His dad was pretty excellent though. They called him Philip the Good because he was so damn good at being a Duke.
>>
>>1380827

Clay lying in between the French and the Germans. Too weak too survive in the long term against his neighbors, made of twisted diplomacy a way of life to try an ensure its existance for another day, turning kingdoms against each other in pure jew style.

Eventually fagocited by France for the most part, the weakling remnants of the Burgundian realm were eventually propped by England as buffer zones/protectorates in order to cuck both France and Germany from getting stronger and pit them against each other while Britannia rules the seas.
>>
File: Ancient_Flag_of_Burgundy.svg.png (173 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_Flag_of_Burgundy.svg.png
173 KB, 1280x768
>>1380827
I just wanna clear up something that is not the flag of Duchy of Burgundy it is the flag of the spanish navy. Pic related it is the actual flag of Burgundy. Just wanted to make that clear.
>>
>>1382611
The Cross of Saint Andrew in OP's pic is actually the flag of Burgundy. The one you posted is the flag of the Burgundian branch of the Valois family.
When Charles the Bold died, his Red-Cross flag was taken by the Habsburgs of Spain and they kept using it even long after Burgundy was dependent of France.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.