[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some widely praised historic people who are famous for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1467674879424.jpg (343 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1467674879424.jpg
343 KB, 1200x800
What are some widely praised historic people who are famous for some good thing, but also held opinions/did things that are today considered strongly politically incorrect on the side?

Richard Wagner (composer) for example was a strong antisemite, and John Ruskin (social thinker, art critic) was a pedophile.
Sartre and Beauvoir also did some morally questionable lewd things, like coercing and manipulating underaged students to sleep with Sartre and then laughed behind their backs.
>>
File: Churchill-428016.jpg (58 KB, 590x617) Image search: [Google]
Churchill-428016.jpg
58 KB, 590x617
Gas the sandniggers
also
> I´m pretty satisfied with my views on India and I don´t need them disturbed by no bloody indian
>>
>>1379237
Probably everyone. This is why judging every detail of the lives of past figures by modern moral standards is idiotic
>>
>>1379247
>Probably everyone.
Darwin seemed like a descent fellow. Change everyone with the majority and I agree.

Voltaire stands out for me since he supposedly preached values while at the same time saying racist stuff that contradicted those. Please correct me if wrong, don't wanna check if true.
>>
>>1379264
I guess it's hard to say. We don't have diaries for everyone, and we don't know what their private lives were like. Odds are practically all men (and the vast majority of women, too) were extremely sexist by today's standards. Racism, like you said, was pretty prevalent too, even if it was of a benevolent variety.

For example, Bartolome de las Casas is generally considered a good guy for reporting on the extermination of the native Caribbeans, but his understanding of the Caribbean natives is that they were "God's people" because he thought they were extremely weak. I don't think this would be an okay opinion to have today, so even nice opinions could be extremely patronizing by modern standards.
>>
>>1379305
>For example, Bartolome de las Casas is generally considered a good guy for reporting on the extermination of the native Caribbeans

Wasn't his solution 'replace them with black people lol nobody cares about them'?
>>
File: Ernst Jünger.jpg (29 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
Ernst Jünger.jpg
29 KB, 540x360
>>1379237
considering Germany's behaviour this guy
>>
Well, the ancient Greeks liked to fuck twinks and thought it just to keep slaves....
>>
>>1379330
>Well, the ancient Greeks liked to fuck twinks

Well who doesn't?
>>
>>1379334
weren't the twinks back then clearly under the modern day standards of consenting age, though?
>>
File: 1434948865313.jpg (23 KB, 355x425) Image search: [Google]
1434948865313.jpg
23 KB, 355x425
>>1379330
>>1379334
>tfw you will never be a Greek/Roman aristocrat and spend all your days having dinner parties and fucking twinks and qt puellae with hairy cooches
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.