[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Were they right to rebel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: youtried.jpg (86 KB, 530x297) Image search: [Google]
youtried.jpg
86 KB, 530x297
What went wrong?
Were they right to rebel?
>>
>>1378691
>Were they right to rebel?
Yes.
>>
Absolutely not
>>
Shower of fucking gowls. Ruined this country. We would have gotten peaceful (and united) independence if we had just fucking waited.
>>
>>1378720
KEK

Or, cuach, I suppose.
>>
>>1378706
>>1378710
elaborate?
>>
Who?
>>
Of course. They were not the first either. Numerous other squashed rebellions preceded the rebellion of 1916. I believe any man who is not free has the right to try and achieve.
>>
>>1378720
>United
>Unity while leaving the united kingdom

You people make me sick
>>
>>1378691
>What went wrong?
They were never meant to win, it was self-sacrifice to awaken the spirit of the nation.

>Were they right to rebel?
They weren't wrong, though it probably would have turned out the same anyway.

>Shower of fucking gowls. Ruined this country.
Ireland is currently one of the best countries in the world, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

>(and united)
>implying
>>
>>1378720
This is the biggest problem I have with revisionists, they say there would have been peaceful transition to a unted Ireland but the reality is partition was already decided upon before the Home Rule bill passed
>>
>>1378691
Who? The Irishs?
>>
>>1381532
Yes. Was an uprising at that time called for, in the sense that were Irish people treated poorly/denied the ability to govern themselves at all?

I know pre-troubles in the north Catholics and Irish people were treated horribly, but I hear that the 1916 movement wasn't met with welcome arms by many irish people.
>>
>>1382282
>I hear that the 1916 movement wasn't met with welcome arms by many irish people
People exaggerate this both ways. People like John Bruton like to think that the Rebels were completely reviled and spat on in the street and some romantics like to claim that the people were always secretly supportive of the rebels.

People were mostly confused about what had happened and concerned for the safety of their loved ones. Some people resented the rebels for kicking it off but more resented the British army for trying to level Dublin. Feelings were only really galvanised either way when the rebels were executed
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.