[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were some of the biggest war blunders of in all of history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12
File: funny-pictures-german-soldiers.jpg (73 KB, 610x441) Image search: [Google]
funny-pictures-german-soldiers.jpg
73 KB, 610x441
What were some of the biggest war blunders of in all of history?
>>
>>1378552
Omaha Beach was a fuck up. Americans were saved only by a massive disparity in force.
>>
>>1378552
Anything involving the italians.
>>
>>1378556
>come to the history board on 4chan
>people don't know Jack shit about history

Color me surprise
>>
>>1378552
France after they stopped having a 10x bigger population than everyone else.
>>
Romans at Cannae.

they packed 90,000 men in a tighter formation than normal, basically setting up Hannibal's perfect battle for him.
>>
>>1378586
>a shitposting faggot doesn't know that omaha beach was a fuck up
>can't even into english grammar
Color me surprised.
>>
>>1378552

This goes without saying
>>
>>1378613
>Russians burn their own farms, killing thousands of their own people
>"Haha take that Napoleon! You lost, we won!"
>>
>>1378617
As opposed to...letting the invading army take the supplies and burn the farms afterwards?
>>
>>1378611

I am French. Google Operation Fortitude. The only fuck up was not getting the armor on the beach
>>
Soviets unable to kill Finnish sniper in trees
>>
>>1378617

Lol
>>
>>1378625
>The only fuck up was not getting the armor on the beach
That's kind of a big deal.
Also,
>bombardment missed everything
>drop soldiers too far out
There were like 3 things you need to do to execute the Omaha landing, land some armor, bombard enemy positions, and drop soldiers at a point where they can start their assault without wading or god forbid swimming their way on to the beach slowly. Well guess what happened.
>>
>>1378552
Bushes Wars.
U
S
H
E
S

W
A
R
>>
>>1378641

Even still, they caught the the enemy off guard and won the battle. It wasn't a fuck up, as it completely changed the tide of the war on the western front.
>>
>>1378552
Why is Hans crying?
>>
>>1378588
oh fuck off
>>
File: French_soldier_early_uniform_WWI.jpg (199 KB, 1440x1847) Image search: [Google]
French_soldier_early_uniform_WWI.jpg
199 KB, 1440x1847
>>1378588
France was a meme at the beginning of WW1
>>
>>1378687
Is that why they lost Marne? Oh wait.
>>
File: hrerd.jpg (969 KB, 2256x1260) Image search: [Google]
hrerd.jpg
969 KB, 2256x1260
>>1378588
>le most populous meme

Would work if France's past wars were 1vs1 against less populous countries, but given it was them alone vs all Europe, the advantage was not only negated but the odds were shifted toward the coalition members who almost always had bigger armies in total

Stay mad, German cuck
>>
>>1378552

Not guarding the Ardennes forest in 1940 has to be up there, as is "Hurr, put everything up front and fortifications are useless" per 1941 USSR defensive "plans".
>>
>>1378726
USSR didn't have a chance to implement their plan so I don't think your criticism is valid.
>>
File: voltaire BTFO by hre.jpg (57 KB, 739x326) Image search: [Google]
voltaire BTFO by hre.jpg
57 KB, 739x326
>>1378719
Not even a kraut, just can't stand the autism of frogs on this board.
>>
>>1378728

What do you mean? Adopting a defense in depth pre-war was definitely technically feasible. Perhaps you could make the argument that it wasn't ideologically feasible, but they definitely could have used a deeper formation.
>>
>>1378735
They could've adopted a different plan but the fact is the plan they did adopt was only in the early stages of implementation and we cannot know how well it would have worked.
Of course we can fault them for not choosing a plan that would be quicker to adopt and more forgiving in case of a premature German attack, but that's something a little different.
>>
>>1378784

>They could've adopted a different plan but the fact is the plan they did adopt was only in the early stages of implementation and we cannot know how well it would have worked.

Except for the fact that empirical data from the war rather conclusively demonstrated defense in depth worked much better than a first stiff line. Hell, they knew that all the way back in WW1, and you had people in the Soviet defense administration trying to change Stalin's mind.

Yeah, maybe if they dug in tighter it would have worked, but I seriously doubt it. And the plan that they did implement, even if everything works, carries that enormous risk in case of failure with the huge vulnerability to local pocketing.

It has nothing to do with speed of adoption. Putting 90% or so of your theater forces within 50 miles of the border is a stupid as shit defensive plan, and led directly to them losing some 4 million men in the first 6 weeks of the war.
>>
>>1378656
>they caught the the enemy off guard
No they did not.

>and won the battle
How is this connected to the premise?
>>
>>1378841
>No they did not.

Lol
>>
>>1378732
Most of HRE shitposting isnt from frogs
Try to browse /int/ sometimes
>>
>>1378870
krauts knew it was coming for ages, come on
>>
Anyone have those images about the Russian fleet in the 1905 war? They're gold.
>>
This
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kar%C3%A1nsebes#The_.22battle.22
>>
>>1378913
that's a ..dubious wiki article
>>
>Invading Russia in winter
Literally why
>>
File: Poltava.jpg (599 KB, 1450x919) Image search: [Google]
Poltava.jpg
599 KB, 1450x919
>>
>>1378977
Who did that?
>>
>>1378981
A bunch of frogs and krauts.
>>
>>1378925
Yeah, but I doubt the whole thing is fabricated.
>>
>>1378977
Hitler didn't, it's just the invasion lasted through Winter. Hitler thought slavs were untermenschen so they wouldn't hold up against the German army and he also had reason to believe their army was weak due to Stalin's numerous purges of it. he doubted it would last as long as it did and in the end be unsuccessful.

He was wrong, however.
>>
File: Emperor_Menelik_.with_his_pet.jpg (656 KB, 1171x1361) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_Menelik_.with_his_pet.jpg
656 KB, 1171x1361
>>1378552
When Italy thought KANGZ was merely a meme
>>
>>1378987
Since when are either of June 22nd or 24th part of winter?
>>
>>1379086

This. You literally can't invade Russia and somehow magically avoid winter or the colder parts of the year, unless you campaign lasts 4 months. Best you can do is try to prepare for the winter the best you can.
>>
>>1378977
No one has done this.
Everyone invades in summer hoping for a quick victory, then the campaign takes longer than they thought it would and they get btfo when winter rolls around.
>>
>>1379071
>"lets invade them, itts only stupid niggers"
>almost loose to said niggers
classic
>>
File: fig2_piltydth.jpg (324 KB, 2313x1613) Image search: [Google]
fig2_piltydth.jpg
324 KB, 2313x1613
>I've just conquered a lot of territory, should I make succession plans seeing as how I'm on my deathbed?
>Nah
>>
Emu war
>>
File: nuke.gif (437 KB, 450x248) Image search: [Google]
nuke.gif
437 KB, 450x248
>>1378552

>what if we just bomb Pearl Harbor and unbelievably piss off an industrial superpower giving its government all the fuel it needs to engage in total war against us?
>but Hirohito that's retarded, we're already seriously tied up in China and fighting/pacifying British colonials, ethnic guerillas and we hardly have enough resources to fight the wars we're currently engaged in
>nah let's bomb 'em, I mean they're going to war with us sooner or later so let's just do it now and destroy their navy
>... alright.
>>
>>1379425

It was pointless. No matter who he gave his empire to there would have been war. Only real blunder was not having Roxane sent back to Macedon so she couldn't kill Stateria.
>>
>>1379071
>>1379411
Oh fuck off. Those "kangz" actually had riffles and a somewhat disciplined military. Ethiopia has always been the most civilized of the Subsaharan Africans.

Compare the British who horribly got their shit pushed in by the Zulus, LITERAL spearchuckers, and only won out in the end because they had more money to throw at the conflict than the Zulus. Yet Rorke's Drift is depicted as a heroic last stand rather than the height of British military incompetence.

LITERAL. SPEARCHUCKERS.
>>
>>1379444
Except they had to neutralize the Philippines for their plan, so there really was no way around attacking the USN.
But I bet you are one of those morons who think Hawaii counted as mainland US and not just another island base like Guam or Wake.
>>
>>1379462

>making a plan that involves attacking the Philippines in the first place

Good job Tojo
>>
>>1379444
the Japs expected way more of the American navy to be there (they weren't wrong in thinking that). If Pearl Harbor went as planned then the American naval power would have been crippled and been a major help to Japan.
>>
>>1379444
I've always wondered about this, they could've dedicated those resources to prepare for the looming threat(Russia).
>>
>>1379468
The only other option is to fold to US demands and return to your island, so I guess Japan thought they at least had to try.
I guess you could fault them for trying in the first place, but I don't think that's what your dumbass is doing desu. I bet you think there was a way to attack the DEI without getting the US involved or, rather, being CERTAIN that the US would not get involved.
>>
>>1379487
I bet he thinks the DEI was actually what Japan was after.
>>
>>1379481
>ve always wondered about this, they could've dedicated those resources to prepare for the looming threat(Russia).
Yeah preparing for the Soviets while your foreign assets are frozen and there is an oil and scrap metal embargo in place is a great idea.
Why do people who have zero knowledge of history choose a history board to flock to, I wonder.
>>
>>1379492
Yeah Japan couldn't possibly want a major oil and rubber producing region.
>>
>>1378552
the ouya
>>
File: 1465989287354.gif (2 MB, 292x121) Image search: [Google]
1465989287354.gif
2 MB, 292x121
>>1379493

You could've said that without being a pretentious loser. I didn't know why, now I do. Faggot.
>>
File: 1466230554108.jpg (42 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1466230554108.jpg
42 KB, 604x604
>>1379493

>haha this loser asked a question about something he doesn't know in a field that's based entirely around knowing things rather than say reasoning them out, I know, instead of just answering the question I'll be a condescending ass LOL

m8 history's about sharing cool stuff you learned with other people and bantering about it/analyzing it, not insulting people who want to know more.
>>
>>1379579
m8, if you don't know that there was an oil embargo on Germany leading up to Pearl Harbor, you need to spend less time on forums and imageboards and more time reading. Start by reading through an encyclopedia or something.
>>
>>1379411
>almost lose
damage control
a
m
a
g
e
>>
>>1379460
>Implying the zulus did not have a disciplined military with tactics.

Their technology was pre-medieval but to say they just adopted hoard rush tactics and were wild/uncontrollable is as much of a meme as to think they were one of the greatest empires ever.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.