[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
since there's no /his/ archive (ironic) and I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
since there's no /his/ archive (ironic) and I can't find the book recommendation thread from a couple months ago, I'm making a new one
going to start with a great and informative read, The Gulag Archipelago
>The Gulag Archipelago is Solzhenitsyn's masterwork, a vast canvas of camps, prisons, transit centres and secret police, of informers and spies and interrogators and also of heroism, a Stalinist anti-world at the heart of the Soviet Union where the key to survival lay not in hope but in despair. The work is based on the testimony of some two hundred survivors, and on the recollection of Solzhenitsyn's own eleven years in labour camps and exile. It is both a thoroughly researched document and a feat of literary and imaginative power. This edition has been abridged into one volume at the author's wish and with his full co-operation.

also /r/ing books on
>pre-Roman civilizations (Egypt, Mesopotamia) and
>14th-17th Century Eastern and Central Europe
now let's be nice and helpful
and also, generally anything on the history of warfare
>>
http://desuarchive.org/his/thread/1378375/#1378375
>>
>>1378375
>/r/ing books on
>>pre-Roman civilizations (Egypt, Mesopotamia)
From my archive of mysticism (in these cases mostly academic analysis and source texts, which while not 'history' proper, you'd have to try REALLY hard not to learn a thing or two about culture and history going through these):
https://mega.nz/#F!ER52hISB!hX8IjSYcdI21PLBCgxGUzQ
^Babylonian folder.

https://mega.nz/#F!Ec4mjASD!FPX62yBmcuRC97QffS1NbQ
^Egyptian

Agents of Witchcraft in Early Modern Italy and Denmark.pdf:
https://mega.nz/#!ldh1ATRa!0878Cj0O1k8mL_xTYZq2AGdf9cfJk3TwoWAe4VayQhc
>>
Wasn't OP discredited?
>>
>>1378448
idk senpai was he?
>>
Greenlanders
>>
>>1378448
>>1378542
There was some controversy about some of his sources and their credibility IIRC but nothing that actually discredited him
>>
>>1378448
no
>>
>>1378375

I started reading it a while ago and got distracted, but it was great as far as I read. I was really taken aback by something in the intro. Something about how Solzhenitsyn's work was some of the only proof of how bad things were, and that the world at large wouldn't have believed it otherwise.

There's another book by him, Cancer Ward, that's supposed to be equally as upsetting. The title tells you what you need to know.
>>
>>1379099
>and that the world at large wouldn't have believed it otherwise
yeah, there actually was an article from the NYT I think that reported untruthfully that everything was fine and that there was no mass death in 1930's Soviet Union. Let me look it up. My Russian history professor hates him
>>
What are some books to read on the Crusades?
>>
Looking for a book on the persians (any dynasty)
>>
>>1379149
there's quite a few... honestly just peruse highly rated titles on Amazon. There's even a new one out I think
>>
>>1378375
>Please use /lit/ for discussions of literature.

>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>
>>1381408
There can be no history without literature. Go back to your roleplaying threads.
>>
/r/ books on american history; more specifically, french and english colonialism and native american history (contact with the whiteys, migrations, wars, etcetera) please!
>>
>>1381408
jesus christ kill yourself
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.