[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best materials i can use to learn Arabic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1465239507327.jpg (159 KB, 1000x809) Image search: [Google]
1465239507327.jpg
159 KB, 1000x809
What are the best materials i can use to learn Arabic?
>>
>>1377358
>>>/int/
>>
>>1378377
i hate you
>>
>>1377358
first be aware of the diglossia situation: Modern Standard Arabic, the language of writing, religion and media is still very close to the early medieval language of the qur'an whereas in everyday spoken conversation local dialects are used which have changed significantly since then and diverged so far from each other that arabs from different regions often cannot understand each other (though they can usually adjust their speech to be understood)

so you have to decide whether you want to learn the standard language or a dialect (and then which dialect) or both and if both in which order. If your focus is not on immediate spoken communication then i would recommend you to start with standard arabic because it is used all over the arab world and people will still understand you if you speak to them in standard arabic (though it will be strange to them and you might not understand their answers). you can still learn a dialect after that and it will be easier in that direction than learning standard arabic after a dialect.

i can recommend the following books:

for Standard Arabic:
1. al-kitab fi taallum al-arabiya - best textbooks apparently, though i have only used them in parts in a class i took
2. mastering arabic series - very good; includes introductions to dialects

for egyptian dialect: Kallimni Arabi series
for moroccan dialect: An introduction to Moroccan Arabic and culture (Chekayri)

I used a combination of many different textbooks over the years but my learning style was very irregular

best only english to arabic dictionary
http://www.wordreference.com/enar/

best online arabic to english dictionary:
http://ejtaal.net/aa/#hw4=1175,ll=2935,ls=55,la=4518,sg=1160,ha=803,br=984,pr=159,aan=680,mgf=821,vi=374,kz=2724,mr=747,mn=1452,uqw=1696,umr=1102,ums=932,umj=867,ulq=1712,uqa=432,uqq=405

(this is actually a searchable scan of a paper dictionary and it will only be useful to you once you understand the system of consonant roots)
>>
your fucking brain, for one
>>
>>1377358
TNT and a match.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.