[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Ah gosh, this house was built by the tenth baron of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
>"Ah gosh, this house was built by the tenth baron of Rumplestumple and has one of only two granite outhouses in the county!"
>in a tour of university
>"This painting was by the local 16th century artist John Smith."

The above examples were made up but do people really care about shit like that?
>>
>>1373771

I dont get your point.
>>
>>1373771
This might be the wrong board for you.
>>
File: shirley plantation.jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
shirley plantation.jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>1373771

I do that with American architecture

As for old paintings you have to be a rube not to care about who made them.
>>
>>1373771
they do if they're interested in art
>>
>>1373771
Yes, if their name is Howard Philips Lovecraft.
>>
I kind of get what you're saying. At a certain point it seems like some stuff is just trivial. I mean, if people in the future actually cared about c-list celebrities or even mediocre more prominent celebrities like Adam Sandler I would think their priorities were misplaced.
>>
>>1373771

Not me, im into history for the stories and trying to figure out the why and how things happened.
>>
>>1373796
>ywn live in a comfy plantation house
Why live?
>>
File: Downton-Abbey_Highclere-Castle.jpg (203 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Downton-Abbey_Highclere-Castle.jpg
203 KB, 900x600
>>
>>1375017
>>
>>1373771
Some do. It's actually a big part of any city's local arts and culture scene. The same sort of people that fund and showcase local art past and present also love collecting or funding local historic sites. It's a way for people rich enough to be affluent at the city level but not influential enough to be big players at the state or federal level to make use of their wealth in self-gratifying ways and form social circles of rich peers and patronize those they find interesting.

Since we're all NEETs or starving history majors, it doesn't appeal to us obviously.
>>
>>1373771
I do to some degree. Knowledge like that doesn't harm anybody.
>>
File: piney grove plantation.jpg (183 KB, 769x579) Image search: [Google]
piney grove plantation.jpg
183 KB, 769x579
>>1374644

Modest historic plantations aren't too expensive you know. There's dozens of them for sale at any given time, many (most I'd wager) cost less than $400,000 when fully restored. They just require a ton of upkeep; mowing the lawn takes all day. Also there's the fact that the people surrounding you will consider you a yankee interloper trying to roleplay an aristocrat and the first question they ask is what church you belong to.
>>
>>1373771
Philistines do not belong on this board.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.