[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I picked this up for an introduction into Greek Mythology.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
I picked this up for an introduction into Greek Mythology.

Any other Anons read it and can give me some insight into it's flaws/accuracies?
>>
>>1372121
I'd have suggested starting with Edith Hamilton's Mythology, personally.
>>
>>1372128
It seems silly to me to read a book which focuses on many different cultures mythology than reading something which focuses all it's effort onto one cultures mythlogy.

I will eventually get to the poetic edda. Who cares about the Roman mythology?
>>
>>1372121
Opening poem.

By gathering the coils of time from my learning,
come to know the myths of ancient times.
Look not into the pages of Homor or of elegy,
nor to the tragic Muse or the lyric.
Nor seek clamorous verse of Cycilic poets. Look into me
and you will find in me all the comos holds.
>>
OP here, things I have learnt so far.

>god's were gay, namely Apollo.
>Zeus literally fuckd everyone.
>the gods are hippocrites
>Basis of Christianity in Greek myth
>>See Hephaistos
>Gods are batshit fucking insane
>>
File: Typhon.jpg (121 KB, 660x545) Image search: [Google]
Typhon.jpg
121 KB, 660x545
Why the fuck is Cronos the main 'evil' being in modern greek myth portrail. What of the nightmare fuel?

>

In size and strength he surpassed all the offspring of Earth. As far as the thighs he was of human shape and of such prodigious bulk that he out-topped all the mountains, and his head often brushed the stars. One of his hands reached out to the west and the other to the east, and from them projected a hundred dragons' heads. From the thighs downward he had huge coils of vipers, which when drawn out, reached to his very head and emitted a loud hissing. His body was all winged: unkempt hair streamed on the wind from his head and cheeks; and fire flashed from his eyes.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.