[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You suddenly wake up as Pope Leo X 1517, same day as Luther nails
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: Leo X.jpg (263 KB, 2024x2471) Image search: [Google]
Leo X.jpg
263 KB, 2024x2471
You suddenly wake up as Pope Leo X 1517, same day as Luther nails his thesis somewhere.
How do you stop the biggest schism of the century?
>>
>>1371798
I declare that all doctrine is spooks
>>
>the schism wouldn't have happened without Luther
The Latins were pushing shit way too much and it was inevitable, it had been in works since the 1300's.
>>
>>1371851
Martin Luther didn't want it to happen originally though. He was more of a whistle blower than a reformatory.
Then the Catholic Church had to threat it like a bunch of idiots.
>>
>>1371798
Call on for a crusade in which the king of France might get something. Let's not forget the high-as-kite religious delirium surrounding the French monarchy. They did their stupid wars in Italy without a profit, ffs. French kings were voracious when it came to fighting for their crown. It might have worked, as it had forthe cathares.
>>
>>1371798
at that point its already too late so you might as well immediately hold the council of Trent and make concessions
>>
>>1371798
You would have to deal with German and France being fucking assholes, plus the Ottomans. Luther was last on a very long list of things Leo had to handle.
>>
>>1371851
This. John Wycliffe and Jan Huss had already laid the foundations.
>>
>>1371876
>Martin Luther didn't want it to happen originally though
He just wanted the Church to change radically to accommodate his views, yeah, and said the Pope was the Antichrist for not doing so
>>
>>1371798
Kill the shit out of Luther but still reform the church.
>>
>>1371994
Don't stop you from having talks with him and maybe trying to make him change his views while you listen to whatever parts of his criticism that is valid rather than just trying to get him branded an heretic while changing nothing.
>>
It was probably impossible to stop anyway, because it's not like Luther came out of thin air and did what he did.

He was the result of something that had been brewing for a long time, as are most major events in history.
>>
>>1371798
Call a council and have luther sit next to me
Decree that all indulginces are now of nature payment for special prayers asking for forgiveness of the patron and not actual "free sin cards" then decree that the prayers of clergy are by nature more heard by god
Release a pamphlet detailing the nature of papal supremacy and how it benefits the people
Call a crusade for constantinople using my own funds and offering the crown of the latin empire to anyone who first takes the city
Grease venices palms
>>
>>1373877
>Decree that all indulginces are now of nature payment for special prayers asking for forgiveness of the patron and not actual "free sin cards" then decree that the prayers of clergy are by nature more heard by god

He wouldn't buy that.
>>
>>1373888
Its not about him buying it
Its about getting him to shut up enough for me to get a crusade rolling
I really would find any excuse to crusade desu
I would even crusade if i thought a chicken looked even slightly turkish as it passed my papal cairrage by
>>
File: literally the third rome.png (369 KB, 1966x1850) Image search: [Google]
literally the third rome.png
369 KB, 1966x1850
>>1373877
>>1373893
>wanting to destroy the successor to the roman empire

We've got a butthurt papist here.
>>
File: best korea.jpg (52 KB, 422x512) Image search: [Google]
best korea.jpg
52 KB, 422x512
>>1371798
Challenge Luther to a trial by combat, in front of God, to determine who is right.

It would be too easy to run a German fatty through with my sword
>>
File: HRR_1789_EN-1.png (3 MB, 2650x2160) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1789_EN-1.png
3 MB, 2650x2160
>>1373903
He never said anything about destroying the most holly most roman true empire
>>
File: hre.png (96 KB, 879x593) Image search: [Google]
hre.png
96 KB, 879x593
>>1373925
>>
>>1371851
It only grew as much as it did because it happened in Germany, where it became a convenient way to exhautorate the emperor.
Had it happened in Austria or Spain, it would have been suppressed quick enough after the counter reformation changes took place.
>>
>>1373961
The word of God is the fundamental of faith. Luther brought back Jesus' word to the people and that is bringing the knowledge of God again.

Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 640x1136
>>1374007
This is also part of god's word according to luther
>>
>>1371798
Declare that we're reforming the church, because god wills it.
Use the nobility's help to turn it into a martial religion instead, salvation through glory in combat.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.