[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the "American" accent develop, /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 958x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 958x540
How did the "American" accent develop, /his/?
>>
Same way British accent did: fashion. It also has changed enormously since the 1600's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
>>
>>1371633
I can't find it right now, but there was a great segment done by the Smithsonian (I think) on the historical influences of regional US accents.

I found the thought that Southern accents developed from French particularly eye-opening.

But the starting point is - almost no one on England speaks the Queens English anyway, only a few posh cunts around Bath do. So the "English" accent Americand lost was one they never had in the first place.
>>
The same way any accent develops? Once America and England became distinct cultures, their accent began to diverge.
>>
>>1371671
>I found the thought that Southern accents developed from French particularly eye-opening

Where did you get this? Southern accent is believed to have primarily developed from Scots-Irish. If you've ever heard a Northern Irish accent, you can easily hear the similarities.
>>
>>1371671
The Queen's English is the most artificial and innovated, it's a consciously created accent specifically to distinguish it from the rest of English. For instance, "h" was never pronounced except as breath in English until the Queen's English started saying it like it is today in order to make the accent distinction, and that meme caught on.
>>
>>1371676
Yes, but what were the particular regional influences? Minnesotan accents developed from Scandanavian roots, but what are the regional roots of East coast America? Why are Southern accents different from North-Eastern?
>>
>>1371660
He's soooo handsome!
>>
>>1371633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atI-JPGcF-k
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>1371751
>grunt and sweat
>>
>>1371677
I'll try and find a source tomorrow.
>>
File: EnglishDialects.jpg (2 MB, 2717x2342) Image search: [Google]
EnglishDialects.jpg
2 MB, 2717x2342
>>1371633
after a certain point like any other accent. its still change, for example right now there are 4-5 dialects and lot of accents but by 2050 there might be many more
>>
>>1371677
>>1371832
The Louisiana, specifically the Cajun accent, is just a slower French accent in English, and then muddled over the centuries.
Most other accents are primarily influenced by Scots Irish dialect.
>>
too many irish

they "enriched" the whole thing

at any rate, we taught, and for the most part teach, a uniform method of diction

unlike the small islanders, who utter so many babel sounds
>>
Listen to a West-Country English accent. It's similar to how the typical pirate accent is portrayed and sounds not too similar to what people think of as "regular English." American accents started as this then eventually developed due to various types of immigration
>>
The American accent generally sounds more like English did in the 1700's than British English does. Supposedly British English has been heavily influenced by class divides, most notably by Brits having a lot of pronunciation shorthand.
>>
>>1371660
Sounds kind of Scottish.
Definitely not full on but you can hear it.
>>
>>1371720
Boston - Almost entirely Irish, some Scottish influence
Philadelphia/New York- Irish, Scottish, Italian, pretty even mix
Chicago- Italian, Polish
>>
>ctrl+f
>"Albion's Seed"
>no results

Wew, lads. You can't have a discussion about the development of American language and culture without reading "How American Culture Developed: 101: The Book", which is basically what Hackett's book is.
>>
>>1373089
stop posting this
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.