[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Burkean Conservatism.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: EdmundBurke1771.jpg (92 KB, 672x800) Image search: [Google]
EdmundBurke1771.jpg
92 KB, 672x800
Tell me about Burkean Conservatism.
>>
>>1371369
>What we do is good because we've always done it like that
>>
>>1371373

/thread
>>
A man full of warm, speculative benevolence may wish his society otherwise constituted than he finds it, but a good patriot and a true politician always considers how he shall make the most of the existing materials of his country. A disposition to preserve and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman. Everything else is vulgar in the conception, perilous in the execution.
>>
>>1371373
Is he wrong?
>>
Very cautious liberalism.
>>
>>1371403
Obviously. Can you seriously not countenance the thought of a tradition that is harmful or even simply outdated? The entire French Revolution which he so sharply condemned only happened because the French nobility had been outdated for centuries. There were but a mere shadow of the entirely justified medieval warrior-nobility and had become a pure leisure class with unearned privileges simply because those privileges were what they always had.
>>
>>1371451
But Burke was not against change, he was against revolutionary change which he feared would bring worse outcomes than doing nothing.

"Our patience will achieve more than our force"
>>
>>1371451
Wrong in what respect?

Your initial premise indicates that Burke only had only one grievance against the revolution, and the grievance was tradition. Or rather, bad tradition. Are you sure? How do you define bad tradition?

Burke presented a number of arguments against the revolution. Most notably against the means and end result of the revolution.

A number of French ignored the tradition of law. Instead, anyone who the public deemed to be a collaborator to the lack of their own lot, deserved to be set right. More often that not this involved the seizure of private property by illegal means. As well as, most notably, corporal punishment, or execution by illegal means.
>>
>>1371451
Tell me, are you in favor of the tradition of inheritance. What is your reasoning?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.