[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who gets severely depressed whenever he contemplates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1813% done with this shit.png (290 KB, 754x554) Image search: [Google]
1813% done with this shit.png
290 KB, 754x554
Am I the only one who gets severely depressed whenever he contemplates European history? I look at this continent of grand nations, Great Men and titanic achievement, but what I don't see in it is a future. We spent centuries fighting eachother for small scraps of European land, establishing colonies around the world and for what? All of it is lost now, each European nation more irrelevant than the other. And in terms of territory and demographics we're negligible and others will surpass us. What are we before the might of the USA, Russia, China and soon India and perhaps even Brazil, Mexico and some of the major African countries? Everything will be for nought, and the rulers wil become the ruled.

Even this EU project, one with a bigger chance of failing than succeeding, would not see us surpass China, India, the US and perhaps even Russia in the long run. On top of that even if the EU succeeds, it is not based for any love of European identities but hatred of it. A combination of mass migration and Americanization will destroy our identities and replace it with some non-offensive globalized identity.

This, the constant fear that Europe will no longer matter in the future, is perhaps the biggest reason that I believe Napoleon should've won, that it was a cruel twist of fate that the Russian invasion ended so horribly. Had it gone different, we as unified Europeans with a clear, unified culture would look back upon the Napo-.. Great Wars of European Unification in the same way the Chinese as one people look back at the Three Kingdoms period.

I can't be alone in this melancholy, right?
>>
Why would you want European territorial aggrandisement at the expense of European culture? Best case scenario imo is an isolationist, cultural nationalist Europe in which states focus on the welfare of their own people.

Empire was a mistake. Immigration was a mistake. The EU was a mistake.

t. Little Englander
>>
>>1371363
Tbh, Europe being in any sort of lead position in the world was luck to begin with, don't be sad that it is gone, smile because it happened.
>>
>>1371422
What does this even mean? Is it subtle b8?
>>
>>1371363
Europe fucked themselves permanently with Colonialism.

Instead of staying in their countries, they tried to impose their will and people on the World.

Now that the World is imposing its will and people on them, they are collapsing. A series of failed ideologies dominates nearly all thought and discussion in the EU, and the EU is fundamentally incapable of doing anything to solve any of its problems.

Europe failing is much like the fall of Rome. Spread their empire too large and too thin, then collapsed as it attempted to re-conciliate all the contradictions and extra baggage picked up along the way.
>>
All the world is European now. All cultures around the globe have been permanently changed by contact with Europeans, and Americans - the United States is just an extension of European culture. The global lingua france is a European language. China is Communist, a European ideology. India is a capitalist democracy, a European ideology. They use European and American (Western) technology and dress in Western clothes. The same with Russia, though they've been that way far longer, since Peter the Great.

It's a bit like the barbarian kingdoms that appeared after the fall of Western Rome. Modern Europe is the Byzantine empire.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.