[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the study of the occult better than traditional western philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1456246890148.gif (2 MB, 239x248) Image search: [Google]
1456246890148.gif
2 MB, 239x248
is the study of the occult better than traditional western philosophy for self-improvement and insight on the true nature of the man? or is it just a shortcut for gullible people? or is is pretty much the same thing, just more metaphisical/hybridized with eastern philosohpy?

(by occult i mean authors like manly p hall, crowley and r.b. wilson)
>>
You seek knowledge for the wrong reasons.
>>
A shortcut? Oh dear. No, you need to read Western philosophy, or at the very least Greek philosophy from Presocratic up to Neoplatonist, and the Bible BEFORE you get into the occult. And you can't just dive into Hall or Crowley without having read the main Hermetic, Kabbalistic or Gnostic texts. Really, you should also have read all the standard Eastern stuff too (Tao Te Ching, Upanishads, Bardo Thodol and the rest). The occult is very alluring and interesting but any study of it without the background will lead to shallow knowledge. It's not an alternative or shortcut to philosophy, it's the next step.
>>
File: Evola Knew.jpg (25 KB, 300x314) Image search: [Google]
Evola Knew.jpg
25 KB, 300x314
>>1370758
The line between philosophy and the occult is entirely illusory. You can't study either of them fully without involving the other as well.
>>
>>1370758
Crowley is a meme.
>t. esoteric pro

>>1371957
Listen to this anon. Start with the Egyptians, then move on to the Hebrews, Gnostics, Eastern and Greeks.
>>
Thanks senpai
>>
Wait.. Is the occult not just bullshit mysticism with tidbits of philosophy thrown in here and there? I was under the impression that people that "study" this kind of stuff are tryhard special snowflakes. Is that not the case?
>>
>>1373483
>>1373483
> I was under the impression that people that "study" this kind of stuff are tryhard special snowflakes. Is that not the case?
They are if theyre retards, which mostly everyone on earth is. There's no difference with other types of interests, such as regular philosophy, or history, or heavy metal music, or bicycles, science, stamp collecting, etc. There's dumbfucks, poseurs, legit people, and visionaries with anything.
>>
>>1373503
in addition, these idiots does not diminish the validity, importance, insight, or "interestingness" or whatever of the topic, though some people confuse that too.
>>
>>1373508
there's one exception. democracy. idiots diminish democracy.
>>
>>1373483
It is definitely mysticism, but the bullshit can be filtered out quite easily if you've done your background reading.
The mystical experience is essential to the occult, as it is to Neoplatonism and many religions.
>>
File: fpepe.png (203 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
fpepe.png
203 KB, 495x495
Occultism is a bloated meme-fest. It's an amalgamation of badly-thought-through philosophy, unsupported assertions, and pseudo-synergistic metaphysical believes that draw on arbitrarily selected traditions from the past.

Most occultists are delusional retards who live in fantasy land.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.