[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /his, was America truly never great? I for one think this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (116 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
116 KB, 640x1136
So /his, was America truly never great?

I for one think this is bullshit. Everyone does bad shit at some point, and the US aint perfect. But considering how it is a significant pillar of western society, I'd say the US deserves some credit.
>>
America was great from 1776 to 1963. After that it's varied between shit and decent
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
Americans just want a reason to shoot fire works and to be proud of being a independent nation for over 200 years. Liberal cucks just hate this because they can't wank off to europoors enough and so they do shit like burn American flags and post on Facebook.
>>
You could say that same stuff about every nation that contributed to history. It's all meaningless anyway, just people misremembering a past before heavy industry left for Asia. And of course the US deserves credit, people make fun of us because retards like you take them seriously.
>>
File: louse.jpg (402 KB, 1575x1120) Image search: [Google]
louse.jpg
402 KB, 1575x1120
>>1370119
The US was never a paradise, no country was a paradise but there was quite long period when the livings standard was sky-high even for relatively poor people(for instance - American soldiers during World Wars earned MASSIVE amounts of money when compared to other nations) and there was a kind of optimism and belief in exceptionalism around.

Nowadays you hear more of "America is evil, killed these and thats" - I mean come on, Americans, since the beginning waged wars with basically everyone in sight(I think the US wasn't at war with somebody else for less than quarter of its existence) and they've became remorseful in the last 30 years or so because of what? They've had enough? I don't believe it.
>>
>>1370119
My favorite part is how people like this will criticize the country for all of its "ills" yet they do this criticism from a cafe in a wealthy American city rather than moving to Africa and living with the "righteous" persons of color.
>>
>>1370119
This is subjective as shit, nice thread anon
If you think that a nation can be great just by looking at its achievements then the answer is yes
If you think that demonstrating a modicum of civility to its people is a prerequisite for greatness, then the answer is no
Every post ITT will be a variation of one of these two
>>
>>1370224
>love it or leave it
No, it's perfectly reasonable to criticize ones country while also recognizing that that country affords a higher quality of life than many others.
>>
>>1370141
>Those feminine hips.
>Dat bloaty face.
>The little tits.
Is dat an ungly lesbo or a nu male? Not from the USA but it seems to be more or less common now, those androgine people than hate themselves.
>>
>>1370196
Wanna be next?
>>
>>1370129

For most of the people who lived in it?
>>
>>1370119
its pretty hard to define greatness for a country.
but slavery, inequality genocide and opression do not take a countries ability away to do great things.
And imperialism actually used to be an indicator for greatness in history
>>
>>1370270
no its not.

we live in the real world. for 99.99% of human history nobody lived like this, or could even conceptualize of living in such comfort.
>>
File: 1452213896875.jpg (46 KB, 443x750) Image search: [Google]
1452213896875.jpg
46 KB, 443x750
Every country was founded on slavery, genocide, oppression, and inequality.
>>
>>1370366
So? That doesn't mean there aren't flaws.
>>
"Great" is a ridiculous, nebulous standard for anything. Was it great before, is it great now, can it be great again? All completely subjective based on how you define greatness.

Some of Trump's crowd hears "Make America Prosperous Again," but a lot of them hear "Make America White Again." All subjective.
>>
>>1370414
Tbh, America is much more prosperous and happy when it was white.
>>
Progressivism started in America.
>>
>>1370119
>So /his, was America truly never great?
America was truly never great. The South was ok for a while, and Louisiana's got a bit going for it, but mostly America's just a boring shithole.

The Roman Empire was great, China was great, India was great. America was always banal.
>>
>>1370426

And when was that?
>>
>>1370519
1970s were pretty good.
1960s kinda hectic with the silly counter culture movement starting
1950s are iconic
>>
>>1370270
I'm not saying to love it or leave it, but claims that America "was never great" while subsequently reaping all of the benefits of it's greatness is a top meme.
>>
>>1370537

We are more prosperous now than we were then, and we weren't "white" then either. So you're doubly wrong.
>>
>>1370414
>politicians are subjective

Breaking news
Name one politician who isn't
>>
>>1370572
In 1970 the United States was "90% non-hispanic "white""
>>
>>1370270
Well then, mayhaps be thankful for such blessings
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.