[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a school of thought or a political movement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: can-stock-photo_csp17752800.jpg (47 KB, 253x470) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp17752800.jpg
47 KB, 253x470
Has there ever been a school of thought or a political movement that advocated the advent of nuclear warfare, either as a means to a specific goal or as something inherently good ? Asking after somebody here talked about Posadism which got me interested.
>>
>>1366151
http://www.lacan.com/zizmaozedong.htm

"When Mao high-handedly dismisses the threat of the atomic bomb, he is not down-playing the scope of the danger - he is fully aware that nuclear war may led to the extinction of humanity as such, so, to justify his defiance, he has to adopt the "cosmic perspective" from which the end of life on Earth "would hardly mean anything to the universe as a whole":

The United States cannot annihilate the Chinese nation with its small stack of atom bombs. Even if the U.S. atom bombs were so powerful that, when dropped on China, they would make a hole right through the earth, or even blow it up, that would hardly mean anything to the universe as a whole, though it might be a major event for the solar system.

This "cosmic perspective" also grounds Mao's dismissive attitude towards the human costs of economic and political endeavors. If one is to believe Mao's latest biography, [11] he caused the greatest famine in history by exporting food to Russia to buy nuclear and arms industries: 38 million people were starved and slave-driven to death in 1958-61. Mao knew exactly what was happening, saying: "half of China may well have to die." This is instrumental attitude at its most radical: killing as part of a ruthless attempt to realize goal, reducing people to disposable means - and what one should bear in mind is that the Nazi holocaust was NOT the same: the killing of the Jews not part of a rational strategy, but a self-goal, a meticulously planned "irrational" excess (recall the deportation of the last Jews from Greek islands in 1944, just before the German retreat, or the massive use of trains for transporting Jews instead of war materials in 1944). This is why Heidegger is wrong when he reduces holocaust to the industrial production of corpses: it was NOT that, Stalinist Communism was that."
>>
>>1366181
Interesting, but that's not exactly what I'm asking. This is more a gamble or a fuck it, they wouldn't dare attitude and a sort of nihilism, not a position that actively wishes for nuclear warfare to happen.
>>
>>1366209
The only "school of thought" that actively wishes for nuclear winter are the Schopenhauer-style pessimists who consider that life on Earth is never-ending pain and suffering and that oblivion for all would be the greatest good.
There aren't too many of them since that sort of mentality tends to lead people towards fringe Apocalyptic religions or Transhumanism first. It's only once they get disillusioned with the afterlife and with sci-fi utopias that they start considering human extinction as a goal.
>>
>>1366274
>Schopenhauer-style pessimists

No we don't, there will be mutants and the evil will to live will simply increase in its suffering by making the survivors suffer more.
>>
>>1366274
I think it would be cool if humans went extinct but I'm still too much of a coward to lead by example by offing myself.

How to build up courage?
>>
>>1367030
Not if all complex life is wiped out.
At any rate it's better than billions of people living in misery.
>>
>>1367041
Do cockroaches lack the deliberative capacity needed to experience suffering?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.