[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did slavery become a contentious issue in American politics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
How did slavery become a contentious issue in American politics?

I don't want to hear about the Wilmot proviso, Bleeding Kansas and the rest of the roundup of the Civil War. Rather, I am curious why, out of many issues that divided the nation, this one came up the the most important, defining divisions.
>>
>>1365848
If I had to guess, I would say that the biggest problem is that it made the American ideal inherently contradictory. To quote writer Samuel Johnson: "How is it that we here the loudest cries for liberty from slavers?"
>>
>>1365848
like >>1366623 said, it went against many of the ideals trumpeted during the revolution. Otherwise it became an easy way to attack the south during rising tensions between north and south over tariffs and expansion.
>>
Since the 3/5s Compromise, although the precise things being contested varied
>>
>>1366666
the 3/5s compromise wasn't really about slavery though, it was about wanting more representation in congress.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.