[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a question for you guys, was it really common for soldiers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
I have a question for you guys, was it really common for soldiers in the Middle Ages to be kitted out in full plate? It seems like that would have been incredibly expensive and a lot of work to armor an entire army. Even chainmail took a very long time to make, right?
>>
they could afford it. they were soldiers, not serfs.
>>
I'm no expert, but full plate didn't come around until the late middle ages. Your armour equipment and training usually depended on your status in society. They didn't make armour for an entire army that a king would pay for. Arms and armour was owned by the soldiers themselves. Knights and aristocracy would have quality armour and training. Men-at-arms were non-aristocratic soldiers equipped with heavy armour just like knights would be, and could fight equally well on foot or on horseback. In England, the next rank down from the men-at-arms would be the archers.
>>
>>1364606
>a 1000 year long period
>did they do X?
Just fucking Google it.
>>
Full plate was for knights only. Men-at-arms and the like didn't wear it (but were still well protected).
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.