[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The French Revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: the-guillotine-large.jpg (121 KB, 960x1248) Image search: [Google]
the-guillotine-large.jpg
121 KB, 960x1248
Hello, I'm working on a small presentation about the French Revolution and have been looking on the Internet but I couldn't come up with a viable, unbiased source for an approximation about the number of victim during the 10 years span of France's most important historical event. Do we know exactly how many people died during the whole thing?
>>
>>1364600
Nice dubs, but you are going to have to go into a bit more detail than that. Do you mean stuff like The fear and The terror or do you want more about the armies and such?

But remember at that time people were very polarized about the revolution and the rebuild. Finding something unbiased will be a bit tough.
>>
Robie did nothing wrong.
>>
The number of deaths is usually purported to be at least 40,000.
>>
>>1364621
I'm talking generally from the opening of the Etats généraux on the 5th of May 1789 until Napoléon took over 10 years later. According to the French Wiki, the Terror did about 100 000 victims but I was wondering if the overall death count was substantially higher or if the Terror was responsible for almost all of the horrors that had been committed during this period.
>>
>>1364631
I am pretty sure the french wiki includes the various massacres of the war in Vendée in the total deathtoll of the Terror.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but some may consider them to be two seperate things. In any case, you'll have a lot of trouble finding unbiased sources, I think the best you can do is to quote your sources but to acnknowledge their author might be biaised for whatever reason.
>>
I just found this for those who can into frog.
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/courses/nvaget/dixhuitieme/revolution2.html

The tone looks unbiased but it says at one point that the civil war in Vendée did 150,000 victims and then it says 50,000 at the end. The overall count for the killings in Paris, Lyon and Nantes is also said to be around 20,000 people. Shit is quite confusing.
>>
>>1364600
>have been looking on the Internet but I couldn't come up with a viable, unbiased source
How about you go the library you cuck. You don't use Wikipedia and Google for presentations when you're past 18.
>>
>>1364766
>You don't use Wikipedia and Google for presentations when you're past 18.
>books are automatically less biased and more informational than all resources on the internet

One of the first things you should be taught in college (especially if you are taking any history classes) is that all sources, including books, are suspect and should be researched before you use them. You also learn that there are countless worthy sources online that don't involve using Wikipedia. Book archives, national document archives, etc. Get with the times, grandpa.
>>
>>1364766
Most books around me right now are in Japanese and my level is currently insufficient to dwell into readings about historical subjects in this language.
>>
>>1364818
I meant "delve", my apologies.
>>
>>1364600
>but I couldn't come up with a viable, unbiased source
Dont bother. The French Revolution is too divisive online. might as well find some books, at least their biases are less serious.

Also daily reminder the Incorruptible did nothing wrong!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.