[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally living my childhood dream and taking my first year of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: uvic.png (40 KB, 1856x2336) Image search: [Google]
uvic.png
40 KB, 1856x2336
Finally living my childhood dream and taking my first year of Greek and Roman studies at the University of Victoria in September.

What should I expect?

Also, university and education thread, I guess. Post yours, share stories/experiences.
>>
>>1361755
Good on you. Getting into genetics in September. Found a pretty comfy apartment near the university.
>>
"Just remember anon, a university is just like any other corporation. You need to be on the lookout for lies at all times, especially from your professors" - paraphrase of my Native American studies professor, he was right.
>>
>>1361755
Nice one OP. What are you planning to do after college? Academia? If you're not planning to get a job in a field related to your degree, I'd advise you look into working part-time (so you can have a good few months of work-experience on your CV by the time you graduate) or learning a marketable, in-demand skill so you can easily find a job out of college and avoid the period of NEETdom that many anons find themselves in. Apparently employers value months/year of work-experience more than degrees even if it's in a completely pleb-tier job because it shows you had your shit together enough to work somewhere and not be fired.
>>
>>1361819
Looking at either working in academia if I've got the chops for it, or finding something along the lines of archiving/museum/government work. Whatever kind of job related even vaguely to the field I can get my hands on.

And I graduated from high school 5 years ago, been working full time pretty much ever since. My resume's attractive enough to avoid the NEET life, and at the very least I can comfortably get good work as a line cook pretty much anywhere.

>>1361784
Nice. I'm hoping I'll be able to find one as well, but can only really start seriously planning on moving in the last few weeks of August.
>>
>>1361936
You're solid. You're gonna do well anon, Godspeed. Since you're interested in academia, try and see what your professors' routine/average day is like. I saw an interview with Steven Pinker once and he made a really good point: you should choose your job 50% on the basis of what interests you and 50% on the basis of whether you can imagine yourself doing the routine that job entails do day-in day-out. It seems obvious but a lot of people tend to choose jobs just based on what interests them.
>>
File: seton-hall-university.jpg (28 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
seton-hall-university.jpg
28 KB, 416x416
I could use some advice, bros. I'm heading to pic related this fall to major in history, and I'm not sure if I should go further and get my major, go into Law, or try to find a job with just my bachelor's.

Also, if I want the option to teach (elementary/high school), would I need to take some side classes that deal with education or would just the major be enough?
>>
>>1363408
>or try to find a job with just my bachelor's.
Depends what sort of job you want. AFAIK the current UK chancellor of the exchequer did a history degree (lol). If you have the connections to go into politics or a policy job, or are willing to work your way into that system then that's fine. But other than that, the only career a historian can have is that of an academic or some sort of museum/archive job.
>>
File: 1331421351001.png (340 KB, 1454x993) Image search: [Google]
1331421351001.png
340 KB, 1454x993
They will all be depicted as evil racist opressive bigot shitlords
>>
File: FEATURES.png (289 KB, 766x471) Image search: [Google]
FEATURES.png
289 KB, 766x471
>>1363888
I don't know Khorne, there's not much I've seen from the faculty so far that would suggest they'd be portrayed like that. Seems like a fairly level-headed, reasonable department.

They do have gems like pic related though.
>>
File: leftists_are_brainwashed.jpg (89 KB, 780x533) Image search: [Google]
leftists_are_brainwashed.jpg
89 KB, 780x533
>>1364282
Contrary to what /pol/tards will tell you, universities are not actually neo-Bolshevik brainwashing facilities that teach you to worship Marx and kill white people.
>>
I just graduated from Uvic with a Honours in GRS and enjoyed the shit out of it - headed to grad school this fall. The department is great and all of the professors are pretty awesome
>>
>>1364297
>mfw some based retard made that pic. not realizing he's proving him right

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-Cqkq6zWc
>>
>>1364297
>Muh damage control
>Muh right wingers are just as muh bad
>Muh unis aren't really controlled by cultural marxist cucks
>Muh y-youre the brainwashed one

Consider yourself, BTFOD.
>>
>>1364386
Kek. Keep fighting the good fight bruder. These SJWs are shit at arguing.
>>
>>1364386
>Muh right wingers are just as muh bad

No they're far worse.
>>
>>1364386
>Muh unis aren't really controlled by cultural marxist cucks

>someone didn't agree with me
>muh cultural marxism

I wish the left was half as powerful as you guys pretend it is.
>>
File: 142263488968.jpg (30 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
142263488968.jpg
30 KB, 1024x768
>>1363888
>>1364297
both pics are right, to be honest
extreme points of view always touch each other and that's why they usually hate the other guy so much - because they're pretty much the same but once says "destroy all (vague description or generalization of something you don't like)" vs "destroy all (other vague description or generalization of something you don't like)"

stupids will always be majority and above all noisy as fuck, since the less you know the more you think you're right
>>
File: file.png (34 KB, 392x181) Image search: [Google]
file.png
34 KB, 392x181
>>1364410
>>
>>1364432
>muh horseshoe theory

>>>/out/
>>
File: yes.png (11 KB, 599x295) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
11 KB, 599x295
>>1364435
As retarded as I think Marxism and most modern lefties are, the left doesn't hate me for merely existing, so I'm inclined to side with them.
>>
>>1364440
>we totally aren't like those guys we swear
>>
>>1364444
And what are you, special snowflake?

Gay? Most of the modern right (except for edgy individuals) doesn't give a shit about that.

Subhuman? Doesn't matter, except to the extreme /pol/ fags
>>
File: misanthropy general.jpg (75 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
misanthropy general.jpg
75 KB, 600x800
>>1364440
it's not a theory it's a fucking fact
braindead retards may rally under a different banner and most of the time opposing factions but in the end of the day they're both braindead retards

and their goals might be different but their motivation and modus operandi are pretty similar
>>
>>1364300
>>1361755
>>1361755
Fuck off this is my school

>>1361784
I swear it better not be my building
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.