[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the differnce between olympians and titans, are there different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 510x684) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 510x684
Whats the differnce between olympians and titans, are there different tiers of greek gods pr something?
>>
>>1361366
Sorry for bad english in addvance
>>
>>1361366

Less tiers and more generations. At least if you view something like the Theogony as a definitive view of Greek beliefs, then you have a notion that the original primal deities that created the universe are no longer in power and around, having been overthrown by their children, who were in turn overthrown by their children, and it's this third generation of deities who are in charge now. One of the big differences between Zeus and say, Cronos or Uranus is how he takes active steps to share power with the younger generation of Gods instead of relying on pure despotic force to prevent his own overthrow.

But the "Titans" were just an earlier generation of deities. Some of them still hang around in the Olympian pantheon.
>>
Uranus and Gaia wets the first gods. Their children were the Titans, who overthrew them. The children of the chief Titan, Cronus, then overthrew the Titans. They are the Olympians, who are currently in charge, and rule from Mount Olympus.
>>
>>1361385
Kronous*
>>
>>1361414

It's a different alphabet, so there is no single correct spelling.
>>
>>1361384
>>1361385
I remember reading that the overthrow of the gods reflected actual events in Greek history, such as the conquest of the Mycenaeans over the Minoans for example. Is there any truth to this, or was it just bullshit?
>>
The Titans were more ancient Mesopotamian Gods
>>
File: greek-gods.png (57 KB, 2251x677) Image search: [Google]
greek-gods.png
57 KB, 2251x677
>>1361366
well, obviously olympians life on olympus and titans on othrys...

titans were the first gods and direct children of gaia, the earth and uranus, the sky

olympians are children (or grandchildren) of titans
titans ruled first, olympians overthrew them

one of the titans, prometheus was creator and benefactor of the human race
>>
>>1361385
>Uranus and Gaia wets the first gods.
And Nyx, and Tartarus and some I don't remember. I remember Nyx had children of her own.

And before those, there was the primordial Chaos.
>>
>Olympians

Indo-European deities

>Titans

Pre-Indo-European deities

You have the same dychotomy in other mythologies, such as the Aesir/Vanir in Norse mythology,
>>
>>1361686
>Asura/Deva
>Ahura/Daeva

It does seem a fixture of IE religion.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.