[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vampires. What was the origin or the myth? Did they represent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: vampire-proof-home-marbles.jpg (40 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
vampire-proof-home-marbles.jpg
40 KB, 620x387
Vampires.
What was the origin or the myth?
Did they represent something else in life that was plaguing the peasants?
Related, how do most persistent myths get started?
>>
They aren't a myth. They were real at one point, and would drain people of their blood.
>>
File: e95.png (135 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
e95.png
135 KB, 300x300
>>1360631
Sure thing, buddy.
>>
>>1360646
Don't give me that look. The story of vampires persist to this day.
>>
>>1360649
Evidence?
>>
>>1360656
I have no evidence. Have some faith in the population fagmo
>>
In the oldest legends vampires were no different than demons or ghosts.

It was only after Bram Stoker's book that they came to be romanticized.
>>
>>1360661
Then don't pretend the statement "They aren't a myth" means shit until you back it up. I can post Constanza all day at you until you actually prove that unicorns and leprechauns exist.

Seriously. If you're gunna continue with this, you'd be more constructive allowing the users of >>>/x/ laugh at you. OP wants answers pertaining to the post, not an argument whether or not they exist.
>>
>>1360666
He asked where the myth originated. I answered the most likely answer: vampires are real and the mythos is based off of the real thing.
>>
>>1360669
That makes as much sense as saying the answer "restaurants don't exist" to the question "What is the best restaurant in town?" is valid.

You cannot posit "Vampires are real" as being the most likely answer when there's noo proof to substantiate it.
>>
>>1360664
Were they then widely believed in by the masses, or just used as boogymen to scare the young?
>>
>>1360678
There's no proof for any other answer. Thus, vampires being real is the most likely answer ya dummy.
>>
Maybe some sickos similar to Vrad Draculesti liked to syphon blood from victims through whatever means, and people created the myth.
>>
>>1360682
Okay, I'm going to claim vampires don't exist.

Here's my proof: No one has given provable testimony to a vampire encounter.

Bing bang boom,by your rules, mine is now the more possible scenario.
>>
>>1360680
Both.

>THE EMPOUSAI (or Empusae), MORMOLYKEIAI (Mormolyceae) and LAMIAI (Lamiae) were fearsome underworld Daimones who lured young men in the guise of beautiful women to their beds to their flesh and blood.

>Plato, Crito 46c (trans. Lamb) (Greek philosopher C4th B.C.) :
"Children are frightened with bogeys (mormolyttomai)."

>Plato, Phaedo 77e :
"Try to persuade him not to fear death as if it were a Mormolykeion (hobgoblin).”

http://www.theoi.com/Phasma/Empousai.html
>>
>>1360690
I am not claiming to have proof they exist. I'm saying it's the most plausible. Your are claiming that they don't exist, while not having proof, Yet You claim to have it. I do not definently say you are wrong,but you Do so to me. This is how it is different
>>
>>1360693
Not the guy you were talking to, but God you're either low IQ or a pre-teen or a woman or a troll. Either way, I'm out of here and he should stop responding to you right away.
>>
>>1360693
But anon, you cannot say it is plausible for no reason. Plausibility requires previous phenomena, and you have not claimed any previous phenomena to have happened. Where is the credibility that backs up the supposed plausibility?
>>
>>1360702
The credibility is that vampire sightings are widespread, and reported often throughout history. It is not flawless, but it is enough to convince me that not everyone is wrong, and that vampires are real.
>>1360701
I'm just trying to get this thread bumped, because it's an interesting one.
>>
>mfw reading about Ottomon officials going "wtf?" over vampire panics by christians
>>
>>1360625
Demons or related evil spirits are everywhere, in every culture and every religion. Before science and monotheism took hold, every culture blamed "oh no my milk spoiled" "oh no my daughters pregnant" "oh no I had nightmares" "oh no I have malaria" "oh no theres a storm coming" on evil spirits. Vampires were never particularly significant among the classes of demons until Bram Stoker popularized them.

The idea that
>every myth contains a kernel of truth
is entirely a meme popularized by bad sci fi and teen romance novels. People are stupid and they make shit up. That's all the explanation we need.
>>
>>1360625
the jews
>>
>>1360725
Well, every myth contains a kernel of truth, just not a cob.
You did get malaria from beings so small they are invisible to you. They just weren't little hairy men with pointed teeth.
>>
They are based on an early 18th century Serbian legend.
A man rose from his grave,visited his wife and attack people in the night.
When his cophin was opened,his hair and nails got longer,so the villagers nailed a spike through his abdomen so that he can't rise up again.
>>
>>1360625
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria#Culture_and_history
>>
File: 1466194665178.jpg (29 KB, 498x593) Image search: [Google]
1466194665178.jpg
29 KB, 498x593
>>1360666
TRIPS OF SATAN CONFIRM TRUTH
>>
>>1360666
Don't you know, on this Humanities board evidence doesn't mean anything, heartfelt belief and faith is the only way to be sure of truths. Facts and supporting arguments are less than worthless, as they demonstrate a rejection of faith, which is evil and ignorant. Only through spiritual introspection can we learn about divine magisterial realities, not blind banalities.
>>
>>1360725
>Bram Stoker

And Lord Byron. Dude was having a party with Marry Shelly and this other writer called John Polidori, and they decide to have a contest on who can write the best ghost story. Polidori likes Byron's vampire story so much he spins it out into a novella and publishes it as "The Vampyre: A Tale by Lord Byron," which marks the start of vampires being sauve seducers instead of a fat, red-skinned Greek man with a hard-on who goes around banging on doors and terrorizing people at night, and crushes people by sitting on them in their sleep.
>>
>>1360625
I don't think the actual mythical vampire had all that much in common with what nowadays is known as a vampire.
>>
>>1361291
Depends which vampire. If you mean the Romanian one, no, vampire wasn't even a commonly used word until the late 19th century.
>>
>>1360625 >>1360682
>>1360691

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria read the curiosity section
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.