[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Europeans wear such wacky clothes from ~1500 to ~1800?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
Why did Europeans wear such wacky clothes from ~1500 to ~1800?
>>
>>1359272
Colors were a symbol of status

Dyes were expensive
>>
>>1359272
Because

They could
>>
>>1359272
They wanted to show off.
>>
File: robinhood222.jpg (122 KB, 517x385) Image search: [Google]
robinhood222.jpg
122 KB, 517x385
Because why not look totally fly?

>>1359279
I do find it amusing that IRL everybody at court, or who had a bit of money, probably looked like they had stepped out of of a technicolor movie staring Errol Flynn, as opposed to the current Game of Thrones/BBC's The Musketeers trend of "COVER EVERYTHING WITH BROWN AND LEATHER."
>>
File: peacock-010.jpg (118 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
peacock-010.jpg
118 KB, 600x399
They were peacocking
>>
dandy swag
>>
File: Peter_der-Grosse_1838.jpg (235 KB, 894x1200) Image search: [Google]
Peter_der-Grosse_1838.jpg
235 KB, 894x1200
>>1359272
>~1800
I think they had toned it down a bit by the seventeenth century.
>>
>>1359647
>I do find it amusing that IRL everybody at court, or who had a bit of money, probably looked like they had stepped out of of a technicolor movie staring Errol Flynn

Usually, but sometimes a monarch would come in with a different taste. Like Mary I of England. She wore dark clothing so her court took her lead and chose sombre, dark clothing because she was boring like that.
>>
>>1359272
suit and tie will look just as ridiculous eventually.
>>
>>1359727
>mfw people in the past didn't wear form-fitting unitards and tied ropes around their necks as "fashion"
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.