[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the Euro's try to take over Liberia during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: liberia.png (64 KB, 1036x733) Image search: [Google]
liberia.png
64 KB, 1036x733
Why didn't the Euro's try to take over Liberia during the Scramble for Africa? Was it protected under America? It clearly was (is) easy pickings
>>
>>1354722
It was considered a nation though.
>>
>>1354722
It would be like the Boer Wars but more publicized. Utter political suicide.
>>
There was no reason to, really. It was an American colony in Africa for Free Blacks by Americans
>>
File: you sunk me ship.png (179 KB, 342x960) Image search: [Google]
you sunk me ship.png
179 KB, 342x960
>>1354722
It was America's unofficial little brother [colony]. They used the same system of measurements, had U.S. government approval to exist, and spoke American style English for a few generations.

I think the Europeans thought it would be trouble if they took such a small amount of land more for its symbolism as America's foothold in Africa than it was worth.

After all, America was not afraid to sail its navy over to Africa if someone gave them trouble. I know Polandball draws some ire here, but I can't help but grin at how true this was
>>
>>1354722
It was basically an American protectorate so anything gained through conquest would be more than lost by having the United States mad at you.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.