[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can i read to get enlightened about the roots of our enjoyment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: Character Driven.jpg (57 KB, 600x247) Image search: [Google]
Character Driven.jpg
57 KB, 600x247
What can i read to get enlightened about the roots of our enjoyment of plots and characters?
Why do we like and enjoy reading or watching events occur to different characters?
I dont mean just an analysis of what it is that we enjoy, but why we enjoy it. I am sure there might be different approaches to this but is there a name for such questions?
When I write "we enjoy" I mean what most people find enjoyable, the popular.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2561x3400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2561x3400
>>1354026
Ask the people in >>>/lit/.
>>
I know what you mean. Try reading a book for writers and authors about "How to write Characters", something like that. It will definitely touch on some elements of appeal.
>>
>>1354026
Read up on Tolkien and do some research onto his writing process. He utilized a literary genre called mythopoeia, which is essentially world building through the creation of an in-universe mythos.
>>
>>1354116
I am asking about why certain way of telling stories is enjoyable to us but not another.
Not how the things we enjoy is written but why the thing we enjoy is enjoyed by us.
>>
>>1354051
They are too busy jacking it to infinite jest and Finnegens wake.
>>
>>1354162
Oh. Well in that case you can also study his poem by the same name, which justifies the use of telling stories and myths to C.S. Lewis who, albiet his friend, thought the world-building angle of fantasy was not very enjoyable.

http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/mythopoeia.html

not exactly what you asked for but it's something.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.