[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do white americans speak in such a nasally whiny high pitched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 283x424
Why do white americans speak in such a nasally whiny high pitched tone? Prestige dialect of some sort?
>>
>all white americans have the same accent
>>
>>1353905
>image.jpg
>Hipster nu-male
>Assuming white Americans are one culture

I you have to go back to >>/reddit/
>>
>>1353905

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsXHVC8wM1M
>>
>>1353914
But it's true

You can just tell a given white american from a non white american
>>1353932
But aren't they?

I doubt a Tom from Michigan lives much differently from George from Vermont
>>1353946
lol
>>
Go ask your Dad. This is like a five year olds question to his father. Are you going to ask how planes fly next?
>>
Concentrated effort to distance ourselves from atrocious British Isles accents. I have honestly never heard a more nauseating manner of speech than UK/Australian English
>>
>>1353981
My dad isn't a white american
>>
>>1353970
>I doubt a Tom from Michigan lives much differently from George from Vermont
have you ever even been to America let alone met someone from America?
>>
>>1353905
I am legitimately interested, there might be some kind of ethnic linguistic history to the typical nerdy nasal voice.
>>
>>1353992

Oh I forgot, minority fathers leave when you're 5.
>>
>>1353970
While there are common grounds there are also very substantial differences between white Americans. Compare a a person from downtown New York to a person in suburban or rural Texas. Different dialects, one is probably baptist and another Catholic or agnostic and so on. The Cajin in Lousiana ecspecially stand out in this regard.
>>
>>1354001
I forgot to mention different cuisine
>>
is this a bait thread or are minorities really this dumb?
>>
>>1354013
The latter. White Americans are rather easy to trigger.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x509) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x509
>>1354019
>triggered

You're funny. I'll deport you last.
>>
>>1353994
No
>>1353996
Very

I wish there weren't so many triggered white americans in this thread

The origin of the "nerd" voice fascinates me

According to the Twi people of Ghana the gods speak in highly nasal voices

Similar notions are found in other cultures
>>1353997
I'm not an American

But I am white
>>
>>1354019
>White Americans are rather easy to trigger.

so you meant to say "former" right? or do minorities not know what latter means.
>>
>>1353905

>>/pol/
>>
>>1354038
Yes, I'm high.

I'm also a white American myself, I can just handle the banter because race is a spook.
>>
>>1354045
That's not how banter works. Now if you replaced American with (white) Canadian or British that would count as banter.
>>
>>1353905
I was under the impression that American English was (at least initially) highly influenced by accents from Ireland and Southwestern England.
>>
And all British are either cockneys or posh.
>>
>>1354039
This thread is about history

I'm sure you can understand

I also ponder why african americans use such a throaty tone of voice, or how they developed a habitual tense which English was essentially devoid of, or why their speech patterns differ so greatly from African ESL speakers
>>
>Americans don't have an common accent
Are you all retarded?
>>
>>1354070
atlantic coast southern accents are close to pre revolution english spoken by the Brits.

closer than any accent spoken by modern Brits.
>>
>>1354081
I can think of about a dozen White American accents alone.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 751x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 751x488
>>1354081
There's also those Scandinavians living in Minnesota.
>>
>>1354097
that map is horribly inaccurate.

northern maine has Acadian French influences like the Quebecois.

boston area has an irish influence. while the rest of the purple area is WASP. along with upper new york.
>>
>>1354114
Not to mention the

>upper midwest = canadian

meme.
>>
>>1353905
>America only has one accent
Post your rare accents, Amerilads

>Northeast Kingdom:
https://youtu.be/UXj-Pm4osjQ
>>
>>1353914
The new generation of Americans do kinda sound the same and it's not just whites.
>>
>>1354156
They say that every generation.

According to linguists, some accents are dying out (New England), others are forming and spreading (California, Great Lakes)
>>
>>1354045
>race is a spook
Enjoy your stupid grandchildren
>>
>>1354185
Enjoy your spooks, my property.
>>
>>1354190
Stirner memes have gone too far. They're like the bane posting of /his/ but without the epic movie scene to back it up.
>>
>>1354176
>New England
>dying out
I fucking wish. It's going to be around for a loooong time.
>>
>>1354081
We don't.
>>
>>1353932
>can't even >>>/r/reddit
>>
File: confederate battle flag.png (84 KB, 2000x1263) Image search: [Google]
confederate battle flag.png
84 KB, 2000x1263
Speaking of white Americans as if they're a monolith is fucking retarded.

Whites in the US are extremely varied from family to family, and there is even at least one distinct White ethnic group in the US- Southerners. I'm not aware of arguments for the existence any others, but there could well be.
>>
>>1354097
I'm triggered. Just because minnesotans have Scandinavian ancestry and talk a but different, does not mean that they talk like Canadians. Also I live near the twin cities and it seems that the Scandinavian accent is dying out in that area. It may still exist up north.
>>
>>1354087
>>1354673
Yes, we do. There are numerous variations of the American accent just like there are numerous variations of the British accent, but they all sound somewhat similar to the foreign ear.
Go on Youtube and look up videos of foreigners imitating American accents if you want to understand what an American sounds like to a foreigner.
>>
Every American I have ever met in Europe never stopped talking about themselves. Has individualism gone too far in the USA?
>>
>>1354883
>accent envy

This is just sad. America is not Europe. Get over it. Just because an Appalachian accent technically exists doesn't mean you're likely to ever run into someone speaking it.
>>
>>1353914
What race would guess this voice actor is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU
>>
Does anyone else think Brits sound like French without the nasal vowels or is it just me?
>>
>>1354716
>not >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>1354001
I'm from North Carolina, raised by Pennsylvanians, and I occasionally have trouble understanding Texans. The way a select few of them garble their vowels makes it tough to hear
>>
>>1354097
>pittsburgh has the same accent as northern alabama

yeah, this map is totally great
>>
>>1354809
>one distinct white ethnic group
>southerners

Assuming you're not a /pol/smoker and just the standard variant of retard, there are literal ethnic whites - Eastern Europeans, Italians, the like. Being a WASP in a rural environment doesn't make you a different ethnicity
>>
>>1354901
>claims americans have one accent
>gets #btfo
>"y-yeah well those d-don't even count..."
>>
>>1353997
And white fathers pretend you don't exist
>>
The real question is why do 13% of the population of America speak like they have never gone to school in their life.
>>
>>1355906
There's nothing inherently superior about General American to AAVE.

And most/all blacks can code switch between dialects.
>>
>>1354045
> Yes, im high
Why do minorities always break the law and are addicted to drugs?
>>
>>1355949
Tell that to OP, because apparently he does share your opinion.
>>
>>1355959
doesn't*
>>
>>1355238
>what is evolution
dumb liberal
>>
>>1355957
What does your meme have to do with my post?
>>
File: what.jpg (41 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
41 KB, 500x437
>>1353905
>Welcome to /his/ - History & Humanities
>>
because it's called talking NORMALLY nog

we don't always moan and groan and talk like MUHH DICK all the time
>>
Considering how early americans probably sounded like West Country/farmer Englishmen, where did this accent come from? Irish?
>>
>>1355959
You're really too easily offended
>>
>>1353991

Maybe you should stop speaking English.
>>
White males talk through their noses because more often than not they have something in their mouths.
>>
File: AmericanEnglishDialects.png (601 KB, 2717x2470) Image search: [Google]
AmericanEnglishDialects.png
601 KB, 2717x2470
>>1354081
>all Americans speak SoCal/Newscaster English

DELET THIS

>>1354901
you'd be surprised.
>>
>>1355964
Evolution doesn't create new ethnicities, retard
>>
Southern and Midwest Americans don't/
>>
Go back to >>>/tumblr/

Unless you want to talk about Civil Rights, or the American Civil War, gtfo
>>
>>1358058
Ahkchuallee, if we can get some decent linguistics discourse down, it'd easily be on topic. But I have nothing to contribute other than this statement.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.