[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I right when saying scientific advancements such as the Age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
Am I right when saying scientific advancements such as the Age of Enlightenment, the Renaissances, and the Scientific Revolution would have never happened if not for the majority of Europe uniting under Christianity?

If not for that, then most European nations would be too separated and hostile due to the multitude of pagan religions each peoples after the Roman Empire fell had.

I'm tired of hearing that Christianity held back science.
>>
>>1351572
Europe never united under Christianity. Europe never united. The Romans kind of did it, Napoleon kind of did it.

Christianity helped bring about scientific advancement such as those in another way. The continual conflict over the faith brought such mad warfare to Europe that science simply had to progress. The age of Enlightenment happened because much of Europe broke away from the traditional Christian ideas.
>>
>>1351572
>If not for that, then most European nations would be too separated and hostile due to the multitude of pagan religions each peoples after the Roman Empire fell had.
Sans pagan religions: literally what happened in europe during the 1500s to the 1600s, in which differences in Christian interpretation came to play.
>>
>>1351572
Most European nations were too separate and hostile.

It's only after the two world wars do we see a united europe. OH WAIT NO, THERE WAS STILL THE COLD WAR.
So it's only today do we see a united euro-
>Brexit
Well shit, it was never united.
>>
File: roman mother.png (704 KB, 512x850) Image search: [Google]
roman mother.png
704 KB, 512x850
The answer to this question lies in why did this events happen in Western Europe. I'm pretty sure it was thanks to Newton. Before Newton, European science was focused on the 'why' something existed, as in its purpose. They throw explanations like the balance of bodily fluids or that the reason why Earth was the center of the universe is because of humanity, etc. With Newton, the magic of the world was removed a replaced with mathematical formulas. I'm not saying Europeans before Newton were all superstitious and such but it owes much to Newton laying out the path of motivation by showing how the world can be described almost perfectly through formulas. Wouldn't you be motivated to explore the jungle if armed with a machete?

So then the question lies as to why Europe was able to produce Newton instead of somewhere else. That, I'm not too sure. Maybe its just coincidence?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.