[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any experience learning ancient languages? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Does anyone have any experience learning ancient languages? I'm NEET currently and was interested in learning cuneiform/sumerian script, any recommended reading? I can't find anything online
I remember taking a latin course a couple years ago, I had a lot of fun with that
Though of course cuneiform is a whole nother can of worms
>>
>>1346023
Why tho
>>
Actual cuneiform script is tough as shit because each word is a unique logogram, kinda like Chinese, depending on how far back you go. It'll take ages to learn. As far as the language itself, if you know any Semitic languages (Arabic, Hebrew) you might have a tiny leg up on the Akkadian cuneiform. Otherwise, you're stuck with Sumerian, a language isolate.

For a language a little closer to home, I recommend you look into Old Persian, vaguely related to English. They took cuneiform and turned it into an alphabet.
>>
>>1346132
I had the pleasure of learning hebrew during my childhood and teenage years, I'll check out Akkadian cuneiform. I managed to find a book on Sumerian and download it, think I'll take some time and give it a shot before I try the Akkadian
>>1346110
Ancient middle eastern history fascinates me
>>
If you know or have studied standard Arabic, then learning most ancient Semitic languages (Akkadian, Phoenician, Ugaritic, Hebrew, Syriac, Nabateaen, etc.) is a piece of cake.

This is because standard Arabic has retained most of the original characteristics of proto-Semitic as opposed to the other Semitic languages.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJ-OK4jiSY
>>
>>1346179
what was the book you found on sumerian?
>>
File: 7655357.jpg (29 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
7655357.jpg
29 KB, 309x475
>>1346354
>>
>>1346364
this is gonna be a tough one unless you got any clue about linguistics, but good luck man. sumerian's a beauty, waiting to be unveiled
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.