[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
beginners philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
Where do I start?

>also general cool /his/ approved photos bread.
>>
>>1345744
start with the greeks
>>
File: Greeks.png (774 KB, 444x445) Image search: [Google]
Greeks.png
774 KB, 444x445
>>
>>1345744
>Where do I start?
Start with myth. Not even joking. Read Mesopotamian myth.

Start with Gilgamesh.

Read it with this in mind - myth's are not just stories they are reflections of the times. Reading some of the earliest myths can give you an insight to some one the earliest thoughts about theology, existence and the meaning of life.
>>
File: SaCv2Ue.png (173 KB, 630x374) Image search: [Google]
SaCv2Ue.png
173 KB, 630x374
>>1345781
>>
File: Boxer at Rest (c. 330 BC).jpg (134 KB, 678x1024) Image search: [Google]
Boxer at Rest (c. 330 BC).jpg
134 KB, 678x1024
>>1345744
That statue is so cool.
>>
I started with Stirner. I don't regret it.
>>
>>1345788
Boxing must have been one hell of a sport back in the days. It still is, but man.

We missed out on the most glorious athletes to ever live by a few thousand years.
>>
File: 1465094734060.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
1465094734060.jpg
388 KB, 1200x1500
I think it's best to start chronologically. For most people, this means Greek. Socrates, specifically. You must learn first the greatest lesson of philosophy, that you do not know. From there you can build on.

Honestly you can skip most of the dark ages, pick it up with the humanists of the Renaissance, and then start pouring through all the greats of the Enlightenment. Do the more recent stuff last, it's all pretty abstract at tunes and is best viewed in the light of previous beliefs. It will also make more sense that way to see how ideas developed over time.
>>
>>1345818
>by a few thousand years

That statue, clearly, could have not been made earlier than the XVII century.
>>
Read Sophie's World for a quick beginners survey of philosophy. Story is kinda meh but it works in its purpose.
>>
>>1345882
What are you, retarded?
>>
>>1345899
Why would you even ask that?

How is that question related to the subjectmatter?
>>
>>1345744
Plato's "The Symposium"
Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics"
Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"
Descartes' "Discourse on the Method"
Spinoza's "Ethics"

this is what most would tell, not in 4chan of course
I haven't read any of these anyway, books are for nerds lmao
>>
>>1345785
Every time. I think this image is, sadly, to me what some old SNL skits are to my parents, aunts, and uncles.
>>
I always thought that "start with the Greeks" isn't the best piece of advice. You should probably start with a simple introduction to philosophy like Nigel Warburtons Philosophy: The Basics or Thomas Nagels What Does It All Mean?: A Very Short Introduction to Philosophy. Find out what field interests you the most. If for instance you want to know more about ethics or political philosophy try reading Michael Sandels Justice:What's the Right Thing to Do?. Only when you get the hang of the main problems n philosophy or in some field, should you start reading the classics imo. That way it will be easier to follow arguments that their making.
>>
>>1346388
Came here to post this, this guy knows what's up.
>>
>>1345950
Because its a Greek statute from the third century BCE
>>
>>1346321
>books are for nerds lmao

gtfo normie
>>
File: image.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
513 KB, 800x600
Presocratic empiricism, rationalism and atomists.
Socrates, Plato, Aristotle
(Spend a good time on those three guys)
Anselm, Augustine, aquinas
Descartes
Lock, Berkeley, and then Hume
Kant, heigel, Schopenhauer
Freuerbach
Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Sartre, there are a lot of existentialist and many didn't consider themselves existentialist (I don't think the term had been coined yet)

Ethos; just finished intro to philosophy today. It was an accelerated class however.
Look at what modern experts say about arguments.
There is still a lot I need to learn. Mostly with empiricism.
>>
>>1345747
fpbp
>>
>>1347518
That's not likely.

Just because "official sources" say so doesn't mean that it is true.
>>
>>1345884
100% this
>>
>>1349937
/lit/'s old guide is still around

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit?pli=1#
>>
>>1349943
ment for OP
>>1345744
>>
>>1349943
that's great
I wish english was my first language or at least have an advanced level of it, so many words I don't know
>>
>>1347634
Brian?
>>
>>1349699
Yea but I'll trust the official sources as a opposed to (you)
>>
>>1350791
>yeah I'll let someone else judge for me because can't think for myself.

If you believe that a bronze statue that looks like, in such mint condition, dates from the fourth century bce, you are mentally impaired.

I am not asking you to believe, or to trust me, you moron; I am telling you that just because someone has a title and is a professional academicist, doesn't make them morally noble, nor interested in truth, nor any less prone to error of judgement.
>>
>>1352396
>don't listen to them you gotta think for yourself. Listen to me!
>>
>>1352496
You're retarded.
>>
Heraclitus and Confucious
>>
>>1352515
Why? Because the statute was from the Hellenistic period?
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_at_Rest

In case someone was curious.
>>
>>1345744
The bible
>>
julius evola
>>
File: 1466277829110.jpg (1013 KB, 971x3604) Image search: [Google]
1466277829110.jpg
1013 KB, 971x3604
>>1345744
>>1345884
This. Sophie's world is a good, simple and compreensive introduction in western philosophy and lovely as roman. Totally recomended for every newbie, young or old.

After that you can go for a more academic introduction. I recomend Antonny Kenny and his 'an ilustraded brief history of western philosophy'.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.