[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting to believe that a god might exist, but he's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: 608.jpg (67 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
608.jpg
67 KB, 709x765
I'm starting to believe that a god might exist, but he's a cruel and sadistic god and very likely a Lovecraftian eldritch abomination.
>>
>>1344785
Start over.
>>
File: 1455544784602.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1455544784602.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>1344785
You're not wrong.
>>
Came to the same conclusion during a bad shroom trip. Wasn't the best experience.
>>
No gods, only man and the entirety of existence to conquer.
>>
>>1344811
But aren't we being conquered by our own greed, delusions, and thirst for blood?
>>
>>1344844
Yeah.
>>
>>1344785
You may be interested in Gnosticism
>>
File: 094850938453094820.jpg (141 KB, 1104x1017) Image search: [Google]
094850938453094820.jpg
141 KB, 1104x1017
>>1344785
Every time you help the poor, the widow, or the prisoner, you're doing the will of God.

So many people who desire peace, a true sense of peace, that genuinely wish nothing but the best for mankind....yet they hate God, or think he's cruel, they really share his will in their heart and don't even know it.

God is not some tyrannical leader that floats in the clouds smiting people. Doesn't matter how much of that book you take out of context, the whole context will still remain.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Literally...the only thing God asks is that people stop doing things that cause themselves, or others to have trouble. That's it.

But it's written some people love doing these things, so they will hate and mock Him.
>>
>>1345025
>the only thing God asks is that people stop doing things that cause themselves, or others to have trouble. That's it.
He also wants worshipped, conveniently falling just within that sphere. [Because by not worshipping him you cause yourself trouble in the afterlife which may or may not exist, and do likewise for others who follow your example.]

A coincidence I'm sure.
>>
>>1344785
haha le lovecraft haha god must be like cthulhu whoa so dark so deep XDDD

>>>reddit
>>
>>1345045
What does that mean to you? "To worship God." Does that mean anything other than to love one another and forgive if you yourself want forgiveness?

Isn't it written that works can't save you, these legalities of worship that I assume your implying, that these legalities in fact mean nothing?

Again, so many people want the same thing God wants and don't even know it.

1 Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

Again, the only thing God asks is that people stop doing things that cause themselves or others to have trouble That's it.

But again, it's written that some people enjoy and love dong things that cause themselves and others to stumble, because of this they hate and mock God.
>>
>>1345163
Let me ask you.
Assume I emphatically reject the existence of any higher power, yet I engage in many good works. I travel the world volunteering to feed the staving, heal the sick, and clothe the poor.

When I die, where am I going?
>>
>>1345169
I'm not your judge anon. But rest assured, it's written God looks at the heart. His mercy is in fact ever lasting. His wrath that everyone seems to love to focus on, only comes in the wake of evil and the injustice that comes from evil.

Don't be too proud to call out to Him if you ever find yourself surrounded by darkness though anon.
>>
>>1345169
Hell, because you didn't accept God's mercy.
>>
I think god is an insane narcissist who isn't nearly as powerful as he makes himself out to be. When you've only got his word that he's all powerful, all knowing and has a massive cock then I start to think he's lying
>>
>>1345025
He asks you to cut your foreskin off too.
>>
>>1345210
This.

For being so supposedly 'powerful', his presence in the world is quite lacking. The Bible says he made pillars of fire, parted the sea, rained fire and destroyed two cities, created fire and water out of nothing on command, raised people from the dead, multiplied matter, transmuted water into wine, sent angels to free the apostles, and cast out demons: and yet, for some reason, he refuses to show himself anymore, and his internet defense force (Christcucks) say it's a sin to ask for any signs ("u shall not tempt God11!!")

How convenient...
>>
File: nietzsche.png (275 KB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche.png
275 KB, 1000x512
>>1344785

God doesn't exist. He is but an imaginary being created by mankind in the hopes to exert control over things which Humans can't/couldn't control. Think about it, most people pray to god/gods in order to ask for something in return which is inachievable/improbable to be achieved. Religion as such exists solely in order to make us feel better about ourselves and give us a feeling that we have control over things which cannot be controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ReaqFItUc
>>
>>1344844
No, anon, we ARE our greed, delusions, and thirst for blood.
>>
>>1345218
Do you think God only exist inside the bible
Because you obviously aren't looking for him anywhere else
>>
>>1345227
You sound like an edgelorg but you are right
>>
>>1345210
Why do you think that?

We obviously didn't create any of this. We just woke up here one day. On another important day we are going to wake up among something else that was created beforehand, for us.

God only asks that people stop causing others to suffer. So how is that narcissism? I mean, really how far fetched is it to believe that the creator of all things doesn't want regression but progression, which is the very linear nature of the act of creation...?

Wouldn't it be narcissism to think a creator should fit our own mold? We don't even have answers we wish we had, some can't even find peace, as if peace doesn't even exist. Yet God should fit into our mold? Who are we exactly? To say we are to be exalted, wouldn't that be narcissism?

The reality of the situation is that what we consider as good is no more than a choice to grasp onto, it's just sitting there waiting for a man to adopt it. The creator of good, urging it's creation to grasp onto it. Urging people to not fan the flame of suffering.

That's not narcissism bro, that's just sound advice. Something that's hard to come by in these times, if not all times.
>>
>>1345169
We are all sinners anon
No matter how much you try to be good or help others
The reason Jesus sacrificed himself was so he could take our place in judgement

If you don't repent and accept Jesus I can only assume hell but I know god is merciful and just so if you are
'Truely good' he will judge accordingly
>>
>>1345239
good point

I think he was last spotted in someone's pancake
>>
The universe IS god
>>
>>1345257
>God only asks that people stop causing others to suffer.
Plus the worship and dick cutting.
>>
>>1345262
You are a stupid cunt. You say you want to see gods power but close your eyes to it.Where do you think the wind that blows comes from? Or the sun and sky Or the ocean. Look at the power of a hurricane.If you observe nature you can get a better understanding of God. It's called the book of nature.
>>
>2016
>not realizing that what we call gods are actually various entities who feed off our emotions
>>
>>1345258
>god needed his son to get killed in order to save us from his wrath
Makes perfect sense to me.
>>
>>1345257
What evidence do you have that they're the same person? That's my point. I've got no reason to believe whatever created the universe and some voice that says a bunch of dune coons are his chosen people are the same
All you've got is his word. And that's not good enough for me
>>
File: Black_Templar_Marine.jpg (122 KB, 620x941) Image search: [Google]
Black_Templar_Marine.jpg
122 KB, 620x941
>>1345280
Well, we all know what that means then...
>>
>>1344785
"Gods" are created by the collective human conscious

They feed of human emotion, which is why many have died
>>
>>1345025

But Cathars had it right so the Pope had them slaughterd.

The creator is evil. Jesus is not.
>>
>>1345169
In Protestantism, hell.
In a real religion, heaven/ paradise etc.
>>
>>1345402
You go to hell under Catholicism too. Papal retcons don't count as the word of god.
>>
>>1345227
The word of God is written down so that people like you can't rewrite it out of baseless assumptions though anon.

It specifically points out the true nature of mankind and mans inherit evils. The desire to control the masses through exploitation of the weak and poor. The behavior model of those who genuinely find pleasure in having others under their boot so to speak. Control- that you inaccurately accused the whole concept of God to be about.

Now what does God say in response to said control? Be content, exercise temperance, don't seek more than what you need. With this, there should be no desire for man to seek control.

Yet Nietzsche's general message was that he had the answers for man to become "uber mensch". "Super men." In his arrogance and pride, he automatically assumed that all men desire to be logical and fair. As if there aren't men that just relish in controlling others through violence and fear for the exploitation of finances to physicalbodies.

So not only is the word of God more accurate in its engineering perspective of the true nature of man than Nietzche ever was, but its far less delusional in this regard.

All Nietzche offers, is an appeasement to people who are missing something in relation to their self worth/identity, who desire to be exalted due to a lack of self worth. The "uber mensch" stemmed from some sort of irrational fear/paranoia, that Nietzsche wasn't truly in control as much as he wanted to be. And in a pool of irony, this man who tried to teach and reshape man to be "super men"...couldn't even live by his own teachings as he died with mental illness. A man that allegedly had the answers for mental superiority, died of mental illness.

So his entire message was based on arrogance and pride and was a blatant attempt to exalt man above creator of man. And he died of the very thing his message was against. Mental weakness.

Proverbs 16:18 Prides goes before the destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
>>
>>1345420
Blah blah blah, you'll still die and be dead, deal with it.
>>
>>1345420
But the Bible's conception of human nature has been viciously torn apart by psychology and neurology. It's objectively fucking wrong.

Nietzsche had a vastly better conception of it, in that he acknowledge that people are at their most fulfilled seeking struggle and conflict.
>>
>>1344785

God is all things. cruel and compassionate. Sadistic and masochistic.

Stop viewing lens from a human-centric perspective. If you examine God objectively, while realizing all of humanity is tiny blip of nothing in the cosmos, you'll see that your concept of God is too shallow, and revolves around humanity.

>>1345227

lmao but he was wrong. He said humanity didn't need God anymore, and then literally 5 minutes later the worst genocides in human history occured by a bunch of nationalistic and secular states who didn't think divine retribution or karma or whatever would reach them because it didn't exist.

He was also wrong, because it was nationalism that destroyed Europe, and Capitalism and religious morality that saved it. Slavery in europe ended because of the church. The pope helped end communist rule. Islam triggers the enlightenment of Europe.
>>
>>1345420
>The word of God is written down...

Your "Word of God" was written entirely by humans. They were not 'divinely inspired', nor was there any supernatural agency that directed them. There is nothing inherent in your "Word of God" that makes it 'right'.

Deal with it.
>>
>>1345443
Nietzsche was vehemently anti-nationalist, you imbecile. The kind of herd-mentality thinking that lead to ww1 and ww2 are utterly anathema to his own.

Also, I'm pretty sure they committed war and genocide for the same reason Christian and Muslim powers did: material causes.

>religious morality that saved it

Kek, there was lots of that in the Balkan wars.
>>
>>1345336
They knew that matter is evil, so they had to be destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weKeCs_GmCo
>>
File: this_guy.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
this_guy.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>1345443
>"...all of humanity is tiny blip of nothing in the cosmos.."

So insignificant is mankind that God - the Creator and Lord of the Entire Universe - had nothing better to do than to pick sides in petty tribal warfare for the entirety of the OT.
>>
>>1345420
Now if anyone needs to feel exalted above "God" in order to live and walk their walk confidently, as if being a self proclaimed "uber mensch" is the only way you can tolerate life.....it's only because an aspect of yourself feels condemned.

There is no need for superiority, technically. The need for superiority is only needed by those who are decieved into thinking they are meaningless or somehow weak without that self-exaltation.

Despite what the world tries to teach you, life is not about trying to stand above others as if you hold some sort of imaginary "control". Control of knowledge, wisdom, or what have you.

By doing that you demean your immediate surroundings...not to mention make yourself look kind of like a jack ass. Jussayin' bros
>>
File: 1453329289480.jpg (89 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1453329289480.jpg
89 KB, 604x604
>>1345262
>>
>>1345435
Only reason why I disagree is because actions that fall under polarity of evil create separation and conflict when otherwise there would be none. That behavior model contributes to nothing but decay. I mean were talking about regression as opposed to progression. Psychology and neurology are just going to state the obvious. They aren't going to prevent man from finding pleasure or reward in extortion and exploitation.

As for Nietzhche in relation to this, I understand his appeal. Everyone wants to be exalted as superior in some shape or form. It "feels good." I get it.

But his assumption, which stems from his own personal likes and dislikes and his own personal irrational fears and what he thought was lacking within man, he arrogantly tried to apply it to the masses.

Now there are always men who come along who claim they have the method for becoming super men, who attempt to exalt themselves above every thing...Lol including the concept of a creator. Which isn't even what life is about.

Accusing the concept of God to be a ruse, an attempt for control, just because man is insecure and needs to be exalted so he can live in the delusional he has more control than what's assigned to him. That's just greed and/or fear. A fear that stems from some sort of lacking within the individual.

And honestly, what they're lacking. Is God.

God's word in contrast to lust for control and power, be content, exercise temperance, utilization of love, choosing forgiveness above all. For this is how all things were made.
>>
>>1345456

>Christian and Muslim powers did: material causes.

Christian and Muslim powers did not commit genocide. It was at the height of these religions as political structures that genocides were lower, because if a ruler did something that wasn't religious, he'd lose legitimacy.

There were tons of wars, but open massacres happened less in those regions way more in the ancient and classical era, and rose again in the modern era and the rise of nationalism.

The Balkan wars were triggers by larger world powers for the sake of nationalism.

>>1345460

>had nothing better to do than to pick sides in petty tribal warfare for the entirety of the OT.

You think the OT and even the NT are perfect documents of what God actually said?

You're understanding of these documents is the issue here. Not God. God talking to humanity is not the same as humanity being the center focal point of God.
>>
>>1345540
Pursuing conflict doesn't create degeneration. Most interaction is built on a certain level upon conflict between two wills, and conflict drives us forward. There's more to conflict than just arguing or bashing someone's face in.

>he arrogantly tried to apply it to the masses

He did absolutely no thing. In fact he explicitly said he'd have preferred his philosophy not make its way to the masses, who would just use it as an excuse for petty thievery and the like.

Also a superman doesn't exalt themselves above everything, they seek their own way and create their own values. This has nothing to do with being better than anything. Are you fucking retarded?

>God's word in contrast to lust for control and power, be content, exercise temperance, utilization of love, choosing forgiveness above all. For this is how all things were made.

Other philosophies do it better without the stupid bullshit tacked on. Taoism and Stoicism for instance.
>>
File: 1457633059671.jpg (54 KB, 300x535) Image search: [Google]
1457633059671.jpg
54 KB, 300x535
>>1344804
Kek is the true god. There's no hell.
>>
>>1345586
>The Balkan wars were triggers by larger world powers for the sake of nationalism.

And religion played a big part in them.
>>
>>1345586
>Christian and Muslim powers did not commit genocide. It was at the height of these religions as political structures that genocides were lower, because if a ruler did something that wasn't religious, he'd lose legitimacy.

The crusades against the Cathars and the genocides against the Mesoamericans disagree.
>>
>>1345045
God doesn't ask you to worship him for his benefit, he asks you him for you own benefit. The worship was never for him, but for you. For you to get closer him and have a relation with him. Worshiping brings you closer to God. HE'S LITERALLY ASKING FOR YOUR LOVE.

EVERYONE WANTS TO BE LOVE
>>
>>1345740
that's all fine and dandy, until you get to the fire and brimstone part. apparently god is terribly jealous for your love.
>>
>>1345761
To be fair, fire and brimstone isn't a thing with many modern Christian sects. In Catholicism for instance, God just separates you from him, and since he is all that is good, your eternal existence is that of abject misery. I don't think it's much better, but it's less psychotic than throwing people in a lake of eternal fire.
>>
>>1344785
this is an extremely common belief

literally every Christian, Muslim and Jew that believes in hell believes in this type of God
>>
Well then you don't necessarily need to take for agranted the ramblings of 2000 years old sheepmongers collected in a book with more different translations and versions than pages. God's existence and nature can't in any way be proved. Better realizing that there's no need for proofs and start believing what the fuck satisfies you the most.
>>
File: maxresdefault (36).jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (36).jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>1345227
>>1344785

I'll call your Chinese cartoon, and raise you one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OAU2aCZ4M
>>
ITT:
>I've seen many trees, but I've never seen one of these "forests" you're talking about
>>
>>1345443

I am a Hindu myself, however over time I came to realize that Karma/divine retribution doesn't exist. If you commit an questionable act (genocide, murder) the universe won't punish you, other people however might. It's all a matter of action and reaction, if you can prevent the consequences (The axis defeating the allies) you won't be punished.

Also compassion is nothing more than a basic human urge, which ensures the survival of the species and makes the person we showed compassion to more likely to reciprocate. Compassion as such is again nothing but a survival strategy, similar to the natural urge of humans to congregate in groups.
>>
>>1344844
Only the losers are lol
>>
>>1345262
TOP KEK
>>
>>1345169
Wormfood
>>
>>1346463
>divine retribution doesn't exist.

Isnt that handled by reincarnation in Hinduism or Bhuddism sometimes?
Like if you were a warmonger you get reincarnated as someone with a shit life?
>>
>>1345279
>Where do you think the wind that blows comes from? Or the sun and sky Or the ocean. Look at the power of a hurricane.If you observe nature you can get a better understanding of God. It's called the book of nature.

im oretty sure you can google how that works and youll get a better answer than 'god did it'
>>
>>1345279
Uhm, its all just stuff being pushed around by laws that are due to mechanisms few understand only to a limited extend.
Could be anything behind it really.
>>
>>1346729

Sorry meant to say that I once was a believing Hindu. While I agree with some of my Religion's tenets (fulfillment of duty, avoiding unnecessary violence) I don't agree with the concept of god, reincarnation or divine retribution. In those regards I follow the ideologies of Nietzsche and to a lesser extant Spinoza.
>>
>2016
>people are still getting cucked by the demiurge

Wew lads.
>>
>>1344785
he's cruel and sadistic because it was man who turned from god first, not the other way around?

he's cruel and sadistic because man suffers from day to say in the dominion of satan, from the wages of sin?

he's cruel and sadistic because he sacrificed himself so that sin and satan could be removed from the world?

he's cruel and sadistic because he personally faced the cruelty and sadism from his most beloved creation?

he's cruel and sadistic because he offers life and freedom from suffering?

sure, ok.
>>
>>1344785
i believed i lived in the dream of azathoth in my days of schizophrenia peaking. i feel you, anon.
>>
>>1345169
There is no afterlife, who cares if sociopaths think you deserve to be tortured, they only have power over you in their delusional daydreams (unless you live in the Islamic State)
>>
>>1344785

Ever happened to picture in your mind that we may be living among assholes that might be against God and know fully well that there's a God and thus, God is actively smacking the fuck out of them?

Open a bible, read Jeremiah 8:8 (long story short incase you don't even wanna bother: "there was a law of God here, but now this is a bunch of lies") Close the bible, as it is no longer useful to you.
>>
>>1345279
>You are a stupid cunt.

Stop being so non-Christian
>>
Why do miracles no longer happen anyway?
>>
>>1344785
God probably DOES exist but he's beyond good and evil.
And this entire universe including everything that exists in it is most likely pre-recorded from the first to last moment by him.
What i'm trying to say God created all of this and then put it on a shelf which makes him not present in this universe at all but containing all knowledge about it(since it's his creation).
This entire universe is just like one of the many, long forgotten,dusty old VHS's in some guy's(God) attic.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.