[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 620x413
itt:
1. State a philosophical work or philosopher (his work in general) that best demonstrates what virtue is in your opinion (e.g. Seneca's letters). Theological writing will also be valid.
2. State a literary work or author (his writing in general) that best demonstrates what virtue is in your opinion. Could be poetry, novel, short story etc.
3. A historical figue who demonstrates it in his way of life.

Anything ancient to contemporary. Feel free to elaborate on why you made your choice if you wish. Interpret the term "virtue" as loosely or strictly as you find convenient.

Bonus: a film, or filmmaker in general

Example:
1. Aristotle's Ethics
2. Rudyard Kipling
3. Fabius Maximus
Bonus: Werner Herzog
>>
Diogenes
>>
1. Tractartus Logico-philosophicus
2. George Orwell
3. Pedro II of Brazil
>>
>>1344710
f-for all three senpai?
>>
>>1344734
Yeah
>>
>>1344717
>tractacus
is this an ethical tract? never read it
>>
>>1344697
>Jeremy Bentham
>George Orwell
>Machiavelli
>>
Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>1347247
>I have never read any ancient philosophy besides meme emperor the post.

Even in Stoic Philosophy Marcus's work is not that important, let alone in general ancient greco-roman philosophy.
>>
>>1347427
lol yeah, but the meditations is a nice choice for its literary value, and he's a legit choice for a historical figure.
>>
File: trump dubs.jpg (55 KB, 736x741) Image search: [Google]
trump dubs.jpg
55 KB, 736x741
>>1344697
1. Spook
2. Spook
3. Donald Trump
Bonus: American Psycho

>mfw
>>
>>1347745
>virtue is a spook
>donald trump is still somehow an example of virtue
3spoopy5me
>>
>>1345718
Machiavelli wasn't a utilitarian
>>
>>1344697
Could you explain Rudyard Kipling? I'll admit I don't know much about him other than White Man's Burden, Kim, the Jungle Book and that he grew up in Bombay.
>>
>>1349652
His verse was what I had in mind. It takes up a lot of masculine themes. I have a selection with intro done by TS Elliot. It's just an example really. Wasn't suggesting that it was my actual choice. Just wanted an example that would show what I meant.
>>
>>1348773
He was though. At least to the extent that someone who sacrifices themselves for an ideal is. His Discourses on Livy frequently refer to the good of the majority.. But I was focused more on his life; he was arrested, tortured, and exiled because of his commitment to what he saw as the greater good.
>>
>>1350446
for a utilitarian the greater good = more people feel more pleasure

i dont think good and pleasure are synonymous for machiavelli
>>
1. A toss-up between the Bible (by contractual obligation) and the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. The world is fleeting and adverse, but building on (Bible) and being (Meditations) a rock is good for oneself and others.
2. Around the World in 80 Days. No matter what Phileas Fogg encountered, he maintained the same stern resolve to win his bet.
3. I'll go out on a limb and say Walter Cronkite. It takes a certain kind of person to report on everything from World War II (in the field) to the Iranian hostage crisis and say "And that's the way it is," without breaking up.
>>
>>1351275
What parts/personages of the Bible do you particularly have in mind, and why?
>>
1: Epicurus' letter to Menoeceus
2: The book of Job
3: Robert Ingersoll
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.