[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he the most important founding father?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: hamilton.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
hamilton.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>Absorbed state debt to strengthen union
>established national bank
>put in place tariff system
>friendly relations with Great Britain
>leader of the Federalist Party
>wrote 51 of 85 installments of the Federalist papers
>advisor to George Washington, effective making him the first shadow president
Can you honestly name anyone more based than Hamilton? My favorite founding father by far
>>
too bad he sucked at dueling
>>
File: traitor.jpg (132 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
traitor.jpg
132 KB, 600x457
>>1344279
Aaron Burr literally conspired against the US and killed one of America's most important founding fathers.

Do you like Andrew Jackson?
>>
>>1344318
>Do you like Andrew Jackson?
Not really, kinda a jackass

still more manly than Hamilton tho
>>
James Madison is my favorite desu
But Hamilton was always my 2nd favorite
Washington and Adams come in at #3
>>
>>1344239
Too bad all of that shit was terrible for us and only served to enrich his friends. Aaron Burr is my personal hero, 7/12/1804 best day of my life.
>>
File: Louis IX.png (1 MB, 795x999) Image search: [Google]
Louis IX.png
1 MB, 795x999
>>1344395
Why is Madison your favorite?

>>1344324
Jackson was a populist that was the cause for a lot of economic turmoil. He also acted rather tyrannical with state power. Sounds like he can't control himself, not very manly.

If you want manly, take a look at Saint Louis IX
>>
>>1344413
I think the Constitution is one of the most genius pieces of writing in human history
I think marbury v madison is the most important case in american history too even though madison was on the, slightly more wrong side, both sides were somewhat wrong
He did fumble towards the end with the war of 1812 and finally caving in on his convictions with the national Bank
>>
>>1344239
weak b8
>>
File: george.jpg (21 KB, 333x400) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
21 KB, 333x400
>>1344413
Also James Madison had the funkiest vice president of all time
>>
>>1344239
Damn Hamilton is hot af
>>
>>1344526

>high cheek bones
>Perfect nose
>slight smirk with a slightly raised eyebrow

he's a dream boat alright.
>>
>>1344239
t. Tumblr user that just saw the musical
>>
>>1344239
>Establishing a private National Bank
>based
Fuck off shill
>>
>>1344318
Burr's kind of an entertaining character in how much of an asshole he is. It says a lot that killing Hamilton while Burr was VP was the LEAST crazy thing he did considering he tried to steal the (at the time) southwest from Spain so he could set up his own kingdom there.
>>
>>1344395
Madison was too inconsistent and too easily swayed by bigger personalities around him.
>>
>>1344458
He fumbled with the War of 1812 because Jefferson's MUH SMALL GOVERNMENT shit fucked up the military and made the government unable to pay for anything. Being unable to really fight a war because you don't have the funds to do it because your economic shit is all fucked up kind of changes your position real quick.

Pretty much the history of the US shows that Hamilton's views were correct since any time "MUH SMALL GOVERNMENT! FUCK THE BANKS" shit tried to be enacted it tended to end in disaster.
>>
>>1344239
Definetely the most handsome
>>
>>1344413
>that quote
Is this for real? How the hell could someone think that blasphemy is a justification for murder when the bible is extremely clear that vengeance is the realm of god alone.
>>
>>1344540
I wish, have you priced those tickets lately? I'm not made of money damnit.
>>
>being an advisor means you're a shadow president
Washington wasn't mentally handicapped you know.
>>
>>1344540
This.
>>
>>1346213
Only a very learned clerk would know that, which is why they have to use arguments.
>>
>>1344239
>most important founding father
>doesn't post Madison
He literally authored the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. No one gives a fuck about Hamiltonian economics in 2016 outside of Historians. Literally everyone, even non-Americans, give a fuck about the U.S. constitution.
>>
File: MrHamilton.jpg (60 KB, 382x504) Image search: [Google]
MrHamilton.jpg
60 KB, 382x504
>>1346324
He basically followed all of Hamilton's advise. I think the only decisions he made himself were the severity of stopping Shay's Rebellion and resigning after two years (and being a President, not a king, which admittedly Hamilton would've preferred)
>>
>>1346841
Wasn't that Jefferson?
>>
File: shrekt.jpg (127 KB, 1350x759) Image search: [Google]
shrekt.jpg
127 KB, 1350x759
>>1344540
Only musical I've seen was Shrek the musical
Admittedly though, I'm happy for the musical as its thanks to it that saved Hamilton from being removed from the 10$ bill.
>>
File: Clovis I.png (2 MB, 1022x1205) Image search: [Google]
Clovis I.png
2 MB, 1022x1205
>>1346213
You forget that Christianity was adopted by Germanic barbarians. They emphasized their legitimacy by pointing out the immorality and evil of the Christ killing Romans, and later this extended to the Jews.
>>
>>1347425
Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence which was then heavily edited by the Continental Congress. Hamilton authored the Constitution and when people objected on grounds that certain things were left out, he drafted them into amendments (the bill of rights) so they would accept the constitution.
>>
>>1347423
>Followed Hamilton's advice

Not really. Their working relationship was so good because they shared the same views on pretty much everything when it came to governing. They both wanted a strong federal government, but Washington didn't want his reputation to influence the Constitutional Convention, so he stayed out of it and let Hamilton and Madison do most of the heavy lifting.

After the Constitution was ratified and came into power, Hamilton became the most powerful man in the cabinet just because he was the most competent. You could argue that he was second only to Washington, but calling him a "shadow President" or something along those lines is a bit far.

>>1347425
Nope, Jefferson was one of the authors of thenDeclaration of Independence. He was still in France when Madison wrote the Constitution.
>>
>>1347423
>and being a President, not a king, which admittedly Hamilton would've preferred
Hamilton admired the old European aristocracy to be sure but he was not looking for an actual king. He made the suggestion because the states were being pissy about Constitution so decided to suggest something so extreme and unpalatable that they'd ratify the Constitution because the alternative would've been worse.

At least that's how I remember it from Empires of Liberty and Wood is certainly no Federalist sympathizer.
>>
>>1347520
I think you're underselling it.

Hamilton's plan was very reminiscent of a European aristocracy, especially in his proposal for the Executive branch - he essentially wanted an elective monarchy with a President who would serve for life. He assured his fellow delagates that it would be superior to the European style because it wouldn't be hereditery but rely on merit instead, but it's understandable why they were wary of adopting anything even resembling a monarchy.

On top of that there's also his legislative plan, which would also allow senators to serve for life. Granted, his proposal also contained something akin to the House of Representatives whose members would be elected by the people after a number of years, but the Senate which was aristocratic in all but name was too bitter a pill to swallow.

Then you have the governors, who would also serve for live as almost princely figures with powers to veto everything the state legislatures would pass.

And lastly, the President and national legislature had the power to veto and overturn anything that passed on a state level.

I do agree with your last point though - Hamilton may have been a staunch federalist, but he was also a pragmatist who believed in compromise, so l'd be surprised if he actually believed in the plan he proposed.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.