[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When and why did duels stop being a thing? Is there any place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: me on the left.jpg (205 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
me on the left.jpg
205 KB, 1024x682
When and why did duels stop being a thing? Is there any place today where they're still legal?

Pic somewhat related
>>
If duels are not banned, fights will escalate to a duel by necessity. Imagine someone suffers a slight insult. If he doesn't challenge, then he'll be seen (or he will imagine that he will be seen) as a cuck. If he challenges, and the other guy doesn't accept, then the other guy will be seen as a massive cuck. Basically the existence of escalation pretty much forces every conflict to escalate to a life or death duel. That's not a situation any society wants.
>>
>When
Napoleonic wars.
>Why
Because the state became the embodiment of the nation. From the moment that a country is now a territory, an idea, a constitution, rather than a bunch of noble fat fucks feasting the whole day in their golden palaces, then you will notice that noblemen fighting with their swords are completely irrelevant in the face of artillery and cavalry charges. Duels were a thing back when a single individual or a family was the embodiment of something, such as a king or a prince. Naturally, when they ceased existing - when they were replaced by congresses, presidents, etc, - they were replaced by conventional warfare.
>>
>>1375260
duels and warfare had nothing to do with each other you dumbass.
>>
>>1375250
So is it because honor plays no real role today?
>>
>>1375242
Too many officers were getting killed
>>
>>1375260
But early Americans loved dueling even though they thought nobility and Kings were stupid.
>>
>>1375268
This.
>>
Way too many promising young officers and sons were getting killed because they were dumb 20-somethings and "muh honor maymays."
>>
>>1375264
Honor defined as obligation to avenge doesn't play a role today because that's fucking stupid. A stupid system that auto-escalates any slight insult into an existential threat doesn't play a role today for the same reason.
>>
>look up duels on wikipedia
>see this
>In 1808, two Frenchmen are said to have fought in balloons over Paris, each attempting to shoot and puncture the other's balloon. One duellist is said to have been shot down and killed with his second.[31]

In 1843, two other Frenchmen are said to have fought a duel by means of throwing billiard balls at each other.[31]

Fucking frogs.
>>
>>1375242
Important people kept getting themselves killed.
>>
>>1375260
>Kings and Nobles are why we have duels.
>Who is Andrew "Injun Killer" Jackson.
>President of the U.S who dueled with bullets still in him.

Learn 2 read scrub.
>>
>>1375250
>That's not a situation any society wants.
Judging by the amount of death/lives ruined that already occurs because of these "slights".
Duels are very much needed.
Better descend into civil barbarism rather than totally collapse.

Basketball Americans would duel themselves out of existence.
>>
>>1376014
I challenge you to a duel of fisticuffs.
>>
File: fedoramompic.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fedoramompic.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
>>1375242
*blocks your path*
run along home kiddo, duels are a little too dangerous for normies like you
>>
>>1375250

>life or death

surprisingly not true, at least in the antebellum South. If folks were sufficiently insulted then they'd get into gouging matches where they would try to maim the other person by plucking out an eye or biting off a finger or ear. This practice fell out of favor after the revolver was popularized because it enabled "cowardly" people to easily kill an opponent and their posse if they were that fearful of losing an eye.
>>
>>1376014
Basketball Americans already kill one another at a staggeringly high rate, they don't need a formal framework to fight.
>>
File: Mayweather.jpg (71 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Mayweather.jpg
71 KB, 768x432
>>1375242
>When and why did duels stop being a thing? Is there any place today where they're still legal?

It's a lot more commercial now, I don't know why you think dueling went anywhere?
>>
File: 1464248947098.jpg (492 KB, 984x1312) Image search: [Google]
1464248947098.jpg
492 KB, 984x1312
>>1376225
I beg to differ, fedorafag.

Remember me, claymore dude? Heh, yeah, I bet you do.

Now run along back to your mommy and let the middle aged adults handle this.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.